Wraps/skins for Phantom (Question)

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good brand of wraps skins for the Phantom. Also, do wraps/skins affect GPS reception?
Thanks,
Jerry

As long as the wrap is non-metallic you'll have no problems.

If it contains metal (like glitter, etc.) than some attenuation could be expected.

It won't cause a reception problem. I bought a plastic wrap from Ebay. It looked beautiful, but I received a very complex set of decals, with no instructions, except to use a hair dryer. A product lacking instructions is a poor product. I'm sure that if I referred to the photograph, then I could figure it out. But, I was disappointed.

I do these kinds of skins ! I would love to start making these for people that want them for their quadcopter or reciever. I dont have my phantom 2 vision plus yet but i can figure out a way to get them made. I own a sign company and we do vehicle wraps daily. We use 3m vinyl.

XtremePhantom said:
I do these kinds of skins ! I would love to start making these for people that want them for their quadcopter or reciever. I dont have my phantom 2 vision plus yet but i can figure out a way to get them made. I own a sign company and we do vehicle wraps daily. We use 3m vinyl.

Vinyl IS what these wraps are made from. I looked for a hobby vinyl cutter, but there isn't such a product. You could buy a replacement Phantom she'll as that would help a lot. Due to the curves and arms, I think it would be near impossible to make a wrap without the shell.

I merely wanted some fluorescent Orange strips to put on the underside of my P2. So, I bought a 12" X 12" vinyl sheet in that color. I guess I'll have to use a paper cutter and an exacto knife to make what I want.

Search on EBay for the sellers that sell multiple designs. They are all displayed on Phantoms - or shells.

I've wrapped bits of my car interior in 3m carbon fibre vinyl. It's easy. Cut rough shape, warm with hairdryer, push for and trim with craft knife. And it peels off easily whilst you're doing it.
Get yourself a cheap bit from eBay and get sticking!

Caution - Do NOT buy a metallic wrap! I bought a metallic gold one from eBay. It looked really nice... but I couldn't get ANY satellite lock on the GPS. As soon as I took it off my GPS lock came back.

A bit of a "well duh!" moment when I realised! The gold stripes are still on though and look good, but I don't think they are worth the £15 I paid for the wrap! :D

landwomble said:
I've wrapped bits of my car interior in 3m carbon fibre vinyl. It's easy. Cut rough shape, warm with hairdryer, push for and trim with craft knife. And it peels off easily whilst you're doing it.

What kind of kit are referring to? A decal or a kit that cuts,vinyl, etc.?

Yes, good point. Also it's gonna weigh more than paint. I'm tempted to go with matte black plastikote/krylon on the underside on mine but it would need a complete strip down to do properly

Sparhawk12345 said:
Caution - Do NOT buy a metallic wrap! I bought a metallic gold one from eBay. It looked really nice... but I couldn't get ANY satellite lock on the GPS. As soon as I took it off my GPS lock came back.

A bit of a "well duh!" moment when I realised! The gold stripes are still on though and look good, but I don't think they are worth the £15 I paid for the wrap! :D

I bought a gold one that looks nice and if it is metallic, I sure can't tell! It didn't say metallic either.

Sparhawk12345 said:

PhantomFanatic said:
landwomble said:

What kind of kit are referring to? A decal or a kit that cuts,vinyl, etc.?

No kits, just cheap bits of vinyl and cut to fit. It's surprisingly easy and very forgiving stuff to work with, especially the 3m stuff

PhantomFanatic said:
I bought a gold one that looks nice and if it is metallic, I sure can't tell! It didn't say metallic either.

I was trying to find a way to answer this without stating the obvious or sounding like I am being condescending, but I don't think I have succeeded so forgive me, that is not my intention!...

If it is highly reflective and looks like metal, then it is metallic. If it is just a gloss plastic type paint surface then you are probably ok. Have you fitted it and tried it?
See my last post above for the one I bought if you want a comparison. Mine didn't state it was metallic either.

Bought mine from iclearshield.com, no issues yet, full wrapped P4 Pro. Also have the partial DJI carbon fiber props.
2.JPG

Reactions: tjshelton

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20