Wow, I've been shooting through the stock UV filter this whole time.

Reactions: acherman
SLR filters are designed to not degrade the optical quality of your photography.
Perhaps you have cheap junk filters.
Most serious photographers use a UV filter all the time for lens protection.

Most photographers may have used them, but not so much at all, any more. No real need for a digital format camera.
The big Question is, for protection of the lens, from what? Most quality optics/lenses today, include a lens cap & hood, which should prevent anything getting close to the actual glass of the lens. Aside from children's fingers & particles quite minute of dust, which can be removed with a Rocket air blower and lens pen. A filter can get scratched too, & obviously much cheaper to replace than an expensive front element. But if you're careful and not too aggressive with your camera gear. & Don't shoot between 10 am ~ 2:00 pm. ;-)

I used one on my old Nikon FE 35mm but none ever on any of my more recent glass.

RedHotPoker

The big Question is, for protection of the lens, from what?
There may be no real need for a UV filter to filter UV but there's a lot of need for a lens protector when you travel a lot and do a lot of outdoor photography.
You need something to protect your front element from dust, grit, rubbing, fingerprints, salt spray etc etc.
Some folks don't use them but a lot do.

In the pic included above, what you can clearly see, are the bare exterior threads, where the stock @dji filter had been previously screwed, onto the cam.

There may be no real need for a UV filter to filter UV but there's a lot of need for a lens protector when you travel a lot and do a lot of outdoor photography.
You need something to protect your front element from dust, grit, rubbing, fingerprints, salt spray etc etc.
Some folks don't use them but a lot do.

@Meta4,
Not to argue with you, and with all due respect, this is just my own observations and from honest admittedly limited experience, my personal stand point. ;-).
The lens cap and a quality hood do most of that for me already.
Our nearest ocean is over 1000 miles away, so no salt spray here.
I have never handled my lenses without the cap or other protective barrier. Happy go lucky guy, and so far have been exceptionally fortunate to have not scratched or damaged any of my well kept (expensive to me) photography gear. I don't go on safaris or camel trips to the Sahara either.
As one photographer mentioned , "started a lens repair fund, with the money saved from not buying expensive filters". Because using cheap filters would be a wasted effort.
If I ever do buy any uv or nd glass. . . Only B + W.
Schneider Optics
I am actually more concerned about dust entering the lens barrel when they're fully extended out.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
I feel like an idiot. Had my phantom for about 2 weeks now and I didn't realize that the stock camera has a pre-installed UV filter. I removed the little clear peel-off piece and thought I was good to go.

I haven't done any tests yet but I'd imagine the image quality is better with the UV filter off, I know the UV filters on my DSLR have only degraded image quality so I never use them.

Hope this helps someone!
View attachment 32555
Best to leave the filter in place. Or any filter at least!

It will not degrade the capture, in fact in aerial photography the UV filter will increase clarity in distant views, absorbing UV light. But more/most importantly it will protect the delicate lens coatings on your front lens element. Think of your camera traveling at near 60 km/hr and all the bugs, dust and atmospheric pollution that hits it. The front of your lens needs protection. Some of the bugs that will smash into your lens have acids in their bodies to protect them from predators. Think about what acid may do to the delicate front lens coating of your P3P camera. Much better to change out a filter then a whole camera piece.

Don't fly naked, use the UV or an ND or a PL.

Last edited:
Reactions: taroh and Viral
I agree with EPT 160, I'm a pro with over 30 years of photo experience. Protect the front element as he said it also removes haze from the image which he stated also. I know a lot of you use the ND filters and I'm going to start a new thread concerning ND use.

I would love to read your thoughts about this topic of lens filters and "protective" glass.

TIA. ;-)

RedHotPoker

You're worried about the minimal amount of degradation a uv filter might produce on a point and shoot sensor? This isn't a full frame Nikon dSLR. Be sensible and put your uv filter back on for the love of God! That Camera is 500 ft in the air fly at 35 mph! It needs protection WAY more than your shots need the uv filter removed.

Reactions: guest1231
For me it is a simple compromise: physical protection vs. image quality.

It is just amazing how successful the dealers still are at fooling "photographers" to put UV-filters on all their lenses. It made some sense with analog film, but with digital sensors, it makes no sense.

Check out this example:
should you use a filter on your lens? yes perhaps, but maybe not - Tangents
Remember that most of the time you have similar conditions as in this example when flying: i.e. a bright sky and darker ground.

And cleaning lenses is no biggie, the coating will not get damaged as some think. Most often a moist clean micro fiber cloth removes any dirt without a trace.

More thoughts on UV-filters:
Should You Use a UV Filter on Your Lens?

And for protection, just put a hood on the lens instead (and the lens cap while transporting of course).

Neither of those articles are dealing with drones. Will a uv filter help a normal camera on the ground? There you have an argument. But should SOME filter (uv or otherwise) be used to protect a flying camera? Absolutely!! You are missing the point and making the wrong argument. Nobody here is saying an ultraviolet filter is a requirement for taking photos. We are saying you need some piece of extra glass covering your lens that is 500 to 1500 feet in the air!

It's pointless to argue with ignoramuses that fail to accept or understand the premise of the argument. Basically it boils down to perhaps a very slight degradation on a tiny sensor where you may not even notice it vs. lens damage from flying the camera at +30mph in the air. And have you tried cleaning the lens on a P3P camera? It's not easy with that delicate camera flopping around!

But don't worry... you're still going to see folks arguing why a filter of any kind is just not necessary on a P3P! :p

Reactions: Viral

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik