Wow, I've been shooting through the stock UV filter this whole time.

Reaction score
I feel like an idiot. Had my phantom for about 2 weeks now and I didn't realize that the stock camera has a pre-installed UV filter. I removed the little clear peel-off piece and thought I was good to go.

I searched and see that there have been posts on this before, but I missed them so I'm guessing other people have too. The filter is on fairly tight so give it a solid twist and it'll come off. I found it easiest to turn my phantom upside down.

I haven't done any tests yet but I'd imagine the image quality is better with the UV filter off, I know the UV filters on my DSLR have only degraded image quality so I never use them.

Hope this helps someone!
IMG_2526.JPG

Reactions: brianb87
If I were you I would put it back on for the protection. I don't think that anyone flies without something over the lens.

I feel like an idiot. Had my phantom for about 2 weeks now and I didn't realize that the stock camera has a pre-installed UV filter. I removed the little clear peel-off piece and thought I was good to go.

I searched and see that there have been posts on this before, but I missed them so I'm guessing other people have too. The filter is on fairly tight so give it a solid twist and it'll come off. I found it easiest to turn my phantom upside down.

I haven't done any tests yet but I'd imagine the image quality is better with the UV filter off, I know the UV filters on my DSLR have only degraded image quality so I never use them.

Hope this helps someone!
View attachment 32555

I would suggest leaving it on. It is a LOT cheaper to replace a UV filter, than the whole camers, if the lens gets scratched.

I usually use a SRP ND16/CP filter, so now I'll be using only that rather than stacking it on the stock UV.

I usually use a SRP ND16/CP filter, so now I'll be using only that rather than stacking it on the stock UV.
Try it but it won't fit. It needs the UV filter casing at least to hold SRP. Guess you can remove the UV glass if desired, though.

Reactions: Cerone
Try it but it won't fit. It needs the UV filter casing at least to hold SRP. Guess you can remove the UV glass if desired, though.
Yes the glass comes out easy. Just pull out the rubber gasket. Never thought of it but this may be why my images aren't as quality as I think they should be.

You're right. Just tried it and it won't stay on. May have to pick up a second UV filter and remove the glass, semi-permanently affix it to the SRP so that it easily screws on and off.

I know the UV filters on my DSLR have only degraded image quality so I never use them
SLR filters are designed to not degrade the optical quality of your photography.
Perhaps you have cheap junk filters.
Most serious photographers use a UV filter all the time for lens protection.

Reactions: Silvaplana
SLR filters are designed to not degrade the optical quality of your photography.

Not a chance. I shot professionally for a few years and still shoot quite seriously. Lots of pro friends. Almost no pros use UV filters, they are a joke. Lens hoods usually offer enough protection from damage to the front element.

Yeah, took mine off as soon as I got it. After a few flights, I decided to put it back on, even if it causes slight degradation. Unlike my DSLR's, this camera is flying through the air at 40mph!! On my Canon's, no way I put anything in front of a $2300 lens! Well, only if it's a Lee 10-stop ND when I'm shooting something special.

Spot on.....a UV has been standard kit - since before colour film became affordable - as a lens protector. Better to ruin a $20 filter than a $800 plus lens.

No serious photographer use UV filters. If the filter gets broken, there are a lot of chances to have scratches on the lens and its coating with the filter debris. It gives an illusion of protection and degrades quality in any case !
On the P3 camera it is another deal : due to the environment where the cam is used it is better to let this filter in place if you don't use a ND8 or ND16.
The P3 camera and the signal processing made by DJI is so bad (mainly for stills) that with or without this wont change anything.
Finally are we sure it is a UV filter and not a simple piece of glass ?

Hope this helps someone!
View attachment 32555
The camera was designed to have the filter left on. Compare your shots on a 4k TV to see the true results. Mine looks better with the filter on, you just need to make certain it's clean on the inside and outside.

Not a chance. I shot professionally for a few years and still shoot quite seriously. Lots of pro friends. Almost no pros use UV filters, they are a joke. Lens hoods usually offer enough protection from damage to the front element.
For aerial, you want the filter on. The pros you're referring to are probably standard photographers, not aerial photographers. There is a difference when the camera is in the sky.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic