Wow- close call- emergency landing!

Reaction score
With my latest addition- DBS mods, I decided to get greedy and fly with 15 MPH gusts of wind. Everything was fine until the return to home. Once the battery got down to 30 %, the phantom was over 1000 ft away, and kept drifting sideways. Realizing that it wasn't going to make it home, I sprinted closer to where the phantom was. I was within 100 yards of it, and it was 10 ft above the water and about 10 feet away from land. I was able to make a safe landing with maybe 1 ft to spare. ****, I am lucky. For some reason the video stopped recording, and I'm pissed about that.

The problem with the wind was that it was purely random, coming from all directions. The only other time, I almost lost the phantom was in a similar scenari- gusts of wind coming randomly from all directions.

With everything being said. My heart is still pumping from the adrenaline, and this DBS mod is awesome!

15mph wind at ground level can easily be 2-3 times that at 400 feet. Your 1st and 4th cell look like they were having a hard time keeping up too.

I have flown in 25 MPH winds (per Healthy Drones) and although there was some struggling, the bird performed better than expected. I would guess that the winds at altitude were stronger than 15 MPH and drained your batteries during the wind fight!

Not trying to hijack the tread. But how much further the dbs mod provide?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

With my latest addition- DBS mods, I decided to get greedy and fly with 15 MPH gusts of wind. Everything was fine until the return to home. Once the battery got down to 30 %, the phantom was over 1000 ft away, and kept drifting sideways. Realizing that it wasn't going to make it home, I sprinted closer to where the phantom was. I was within 100 yards of it, and it was 10 ft above the water and about 10 feet away from land. I was able to make a safe landing with maybe 1 ft to spare. ****, I am lucky. For some reason the video stopped recording, and I'm pissed about that.

The problem with the wind was that it was purely random, coming from all directions. The only other time, I almost lost the phantom was in a similar scenari- gusts of wind coming randomly from all directions.

With everything being said. My heart is still pumping from the adrenaline, and this DBS mod is awesome!
What point did the video stop recording, on the SD card or the mobile device?

Not trying to hijack the tread. But how much further the dbs mod provide?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Probably twice the distance, but I live in suburban NY, lots of interference. Haven't tested it over the beach where I got 1.35 miles stock yet.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

What point did the video stop recording, on the SD card or the mobile device?
When I lost the signal, video recording stopped not sure if it was the device or sd card. Usually it continues, but it didn't this time. The emergency landing was epic! So **** close to losing this thing.

Last edited:
I have flown in 25 MPH winds (per Healthy Drones) and although there was some struggling, the bird performed better than expected. I would guess that the winds at altitude were stronger than 15 MPH and drained your batteries during the wind fight!
Yeah as soon as the battery hit 30%, the thing started drifting sideways. I was told that flights into nyc got cancelled, so the winds were strong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.