Would you upgrade to a new phantom, **P4**?

Will you upgrade to the new P4 when released?

• Yes I will upgrade and sell my older gear

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Yes I will upgrade and retain my older gear

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • No I will not upgrade and retain my older gear

Votes: 64 52.9%
  • I will upgrade to a higher class model (Inspire, Spreading Wings)

Votes: 9 7.4%

• Total voters
There's a vid on YouTube from CES this year where the rep from Yuneec said 400ft would be the default setting but that it would not be enforced. The interviewer even asked if the operator could go higher and he said yes. Is there most recent information contradicting this?

On sites that are taking 'pre-orders' the 'software controlled 400 ft max' is mentioned in specs. The specs are still sparse.
It very well might be able to fly over 400 ft. all the better!

It's going to be a tough call between whatever phantom 4 has on it and yuneec typhoon h. I like dji but man that Intel bird looks cool!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

There are many other fine competitors in the drone business.
Some with the ability and forsight to use actual carbon fiber bodies.
But you would be spending tens of thousands dollars for those top of the line ones.
I mean look at this drone, for one amazing example. Cruising around the blue sky, with a $60,000 camera hanging underneath it... ;-)

Start saving your shekels and pesos señor. You have a ways to go. ;-)

I would have to win big, a major lottery, like powerball lotto, to afford the big boys "toys", I would like. ;-)

What about sterio equipment, www.higherfi.com have a few nice components available. Stock comes and goes so check back frequently. Hahaha
Build a decent unit for yourself, just for fun. Tell me about it. Thanks.

Hello hello? I guess He hung up... ;-)

RedHotPoker

You just made my wife very nervous by sharing this video...she will be watching me and my accounts like a hawk for the next while ;)

As far as the P4 goes, if it offers what I think it will the $1700USD is no big deal and I'm already prepared to buy as soon as I can get my hands on one!

Last edited:
You just made my wife very nervous by sharing this video...she will be watching me and my accounts like a hawk for the next while ;)
Yeah, but she don't know about the Phantom account, does she? ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Cale262
Thee ol' pirate chest, buried underneath the flower bed..Hahaha
Keep that shovel clean, or she will be digging around. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Hello All,

I am a proud owner of a Phantom 3 Adv and have been for the last several months, It has been an amazing device and was well worth it when I purchased it towards the end of last year. With the CES conference just passed and no new developments/releases (except for P34K) from DJI, to me it looks like a new phantom maybe on the near of being released as of the exceptionally low store prices....

I am just going to ask what your guys thoughts are on when the new device comes out, wether it be next week or in several months time.

What is your plan for you upgrading?

Will you? - Sell the P3 then purchase the newer model?
- Keep your P3 and purchase the newer model?
- Or just not upgrade at all?

This thread is open to all discussion on this topic, feel free to express your opinion

Thanks

Liam

Personal it better smoke the Yuneec typhoon H because as of now that will be my next purchase. At this moment it should be the best available for a decent price. I couldn't care less about obstacle avoidance. Learn to fly and there is no need for that. Maybe in follow me mode but honestly I feel obstacle avoidance is a long way from being perfected. It's great they are working on it but I do not see that helping against tree branches. A wall yeah but not branches. Also these obstacle avoidance systems other then the matrice is just in the front. What if you are flying backwards or sideways. Then it's useless. Also the phantom 4 better have a dedicated video screen on the controller. Yuneec has proven to be most reliable being they only need to build for one device. Brilliant.

Personal it better smoke the Yuneec typhoon H because as of now that will be my next purchase. At this moment it should be the best available for a decent price. I couldn't care less about obstacle avoidance. Learn to fly and there is no need for that. Maybe in follow me mode but honestly I feel obstacle avoidance is a long way from being perfected. It's great they are working on it but I do not see that helping against tree branches. A wall yeah but not branches. Also these obstacle avoidance systems other then the matrice is just in the front. What if you are flying backwards or sideways. Then it's useless. Also the phantom 4 better have a dedicated video screen on the controller. Yuneec has proven to be most reliable being they only need to build for one device. Brilliant.

my hope for obsticle avoidance is when I don't have control in an instance where I may have lost signal and it has entered return to home mode...hoping it is the difference between making it home or not... or worse, impacting something that causes harm to someone. Yuneec proximity sensors are only on the front but we haven't seen DJI's newest offering quite yet but I think if it was only one side it would be nice to be the opposite side of the camera and when in RTH I flew backwards to utilize that sensor.

Last edited:
Also the phantom 4 better have a dedicated video screen on the controller. Yuneec has proven to be most reliable being they only need to build for one device. Brilliant.
Yes, the screen issues pretty much go away since Yuneec provides a built in screen in the RC, however you're stuck with a small 6" screen. I'd much rather have my iPad air 10"screen, especially when lightbridge 2 provides a 1080p downlink. That will be the bees knees.
If there's no lightbridge 2 support in the P4 I'll be disappointed.

Thee ol' pirate chest, buried underneath the flower bed..Hahaha
Keep that shovel clean, or she will be digging around. ;-)

RedHotPoker

P4 is petty cash compared to a NEO

I've learned the P4 will have digital zoom when recording video in less than 4K. I got a comment from a YouTube viewer that stated he's testing it now in beta. I've often wondered why P3P didn't have that since the pixels are there and the 4K sensor and they could easily be cropped for zoom when recording in 1080. Seems like it would be an easy software mod to the camera firmware, with Go app mods for zoom to support it. Maybe future P3P firmware will include it.

my hope for obsticle avoidance is when I don't have control in an instance where I may have lost signal and it has entered return to home mode...hoping it is the difference between making it home or not... or worse, impacting something that causes harm to someone
Your P3 has obstacle avoidance in that scenario .. even the P2 did.
You just have to set your RTH height above the height of any obstacles in your flying area and you will even miss thin branches and wires that expensive gadgets can't see.

Here is a new model that has 360 degree obstacle avoidance that looks like it will compete with the next gen Phantom.

http://www.xirodrone.com/xplorer2#page1

Your P3 has obstacle avoidance in that scenario .. even the P2 did.
You just have to set your RTH height above the height of any obstacles in your flying area and you will even miss thin branches and wires that expensive gadgets can't see.

RTH is a great feature when it works but I have had the odd occasion where I have flown around a mountain peak and ran into an array of radio towers I didn't know where there and have watched my bird continue to fly in the last direction i sent it in without being able to recover for many long moments. Loss of signal does not always result in RTH being initiated but an onboard proximity sensor may save my bird from flying directly into a rock face in this rare instant. I also fly in the mountains a lot where winds change very suddenly, I typically change my RTH height almost every flight but I have to admit I don't always know how high I have to set it to clear every peak I may find myself accidentally blown behind. More redundancies are always welcome.

Hmm, from the size of this guys hand on the landing gear it looks like the P4 is a little bigger, about 400mm size it appears (if you believe this photos) compared to 350mm for P3. 400mm would be too big for a backpack that's compatible with airline carry-on guidelines (14X9X20"). Bummer. The battery looks monster big. If it's over 100 watts the airlines won't allow them on commercial airplanes for safety reasons. P3 batteries are 68 watts (4.480A X 15.2V). I hope they aren't over 100 watts.
upload_2016-2-28_14-19-47.png

I'd much rather have Lightbridge 2 instead of collision avoidance. However the digital zoom will be nice to have when recording in less than 4K.

Last edited:
We will all know for sure, in only a couple more days...
Just Two more sleeps... Hahaha
image.jpeg

RedHotPoker

Hmm, looks like the P4 is a little bigger, about 400mm size it appears (if you believe the photos) compared to 350mm for P3. 400mm would be too big for a backpack that's compatible with airline carry-on guidelines (14X9X20"). Bummer. The battery looks monster big. If it's over 100 watts the airlines won't allow them on commercial airplanes for safety reasons. P3 batteries are 68 watts (4.480A X 15.2V). I hope they aren't over 100 watts.

I'd much rather have Lightbridge 2 instead of collision avoidance. However the digital zoom will be nice to have when recording in less than 4K.

I think its the same size (and maybe height).
The legs look shorter - no more gimbal board and dampener plate means the legs can be shorter to make room for battery and taller motors. No gimbal board and dampeners means they have hardware/software Image Optical Stabilisation built into the camera to completely iron out the shakes and tilted horizons. If they have Optical stabilisation, it means the camera+software will be able to track objects (like Vertical Studios app). This means they'll have a tap and go system for object tracking. This sounds far fetched, but If they have object tracking, then they are probably going to use the detection/vps system to calculate direction. It is then possible that they have removed the compass. Removing the compass would mean less retarted contradictory info and less fly aways.

I think its the same size (and maybe height).
The legs look shorter - no more gimbal board and dampener plate means the legs can be shorter to make room for battery and taller motors. No gimbal board and dampeners means they have hardware/software Image Optical Stabilisation built into the camera to completely iron out the shakes and tilted horizons. If they have Optical stabilisation, it means the camera+software will be able to track objects (like Vertical Studios app). This means they'll have a tap and go system for object tracking. This sounds far fetched, but If they have object tracking, then they are probably going to use the detection/vps system to calculate direction. It is then possible that they have removed the compass. Removing the compass would mean less retarted contradictory info and less fly aways.
That's a lot of speculation. I think it's a pipe dream to think DJI can get away from having a compass. I hope I'm wrong.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20