https://www.google.com/maps?q=30.394407,-86.598911&hl=en&gl=us

Here are the givens:
1) Operator stays below 400 ft AGL
2) Operator stays away from people
3) Weather is suitable for operations
4) Operator will keep UAV in line of site
5) It is daytime.
6) It is a non-commercial operation

What other considerations does one make before they make the go/no go decision? What resources does one consult to make the decision?

I look forward to hearing everyone's answers!

Last edited:
I would fly there..... again!!!! happy flying brother, I love that area of the coast.

Stayed there the last year with the family for a week.

Hurlburt Field is a very active airfield this time of year. It's a military airfield. Looks like you're about 7 miles away at that location. I can't recall what their control zone is and I don't have a sectional for that area to refer to.

Another consideration is tour helicopters in the area. They typically fly at 300' or lower. There are also advertising planes pulling banners but they are usually above 700'.

As long as you keep it within your sight and below 400', as you indicated, I'd think you'd be fine. Just be ready to land it quickly if you hear aircraft approaching.

I would fly there..... again!!!! happy flying brother, I love that area of the coast.

Beautiful family. Beautiful video. I don't speak Vietnamese, but I think I knew what your mom and dad were saying. You captured that wonderfully.

Hurlburt Field is a very active airfield this time of year. It's a military airfield. Looks like you're about 7 miles away at that location. I can't recall what their control zone is and I don't have a sectional for that area to refer to.

Another consideration is tour helicopters in the area. They typically fly at 300' or lower. There are also advertising planes pulling banners but they are usually above 700'.

As long as you keep it within your sight and below 400', as you indicated, I'd think you'd be fine. Just be ready to land it quickly if you hear aircraft approaching.

The airspace is sliced and diced like crazy around there. Airports. MOAs. Restricted areas. Fun stuff.

Would the National Park Service have an issue with flying a drone there?

Just be smart, fly safe, be attentive to the conditions around you. Don't take of or land in the sand. Bad for the motors. Enjoy and have fun. Follow your 5 givens. You'll be ok.

The airspace is sliced and diced like crazy around there. Airports. MOAs. Restricted areas. Fun stuff.

Would the National Park Service have an issue with flying a drone there?

I've not had any issues with mine where I'm located just East of Destin in the Point Washington National Forrest. More questions than worry from the Rangers here. Just make sure you look for any signs indicating protected grounds for turtles, you're likely far enough away from the beach to not enter them, or any of the many birds that have protected nesting grounds.

Last edited:
Did the company ask you to fly? Personally, I hate drawing attention, so unless I was asked by the owner of the resort, I would just fly along the beach. Not so much for safety as for personal preference.

Did the company ask you to fly? Personally, I hate drawing attention, so unless I was asked by the owner of the resort, I would just fly along the beach. Not so much for safety as for personal preference.

No, just personal flying.

Most national parks are no fly in. Meaning you can fly over but you can't take of and land from within. Best to talk to the ranger and hence permissions. Better than a ticket or worse, they confenscate it.

I've been there many times and its usually quite windy, not to mention sand everywhere.

You might want to set your home point of the lagoon side of the island but you wouldn't be LOS.

Most national parks are no fly in. Meaning you can fly over but you can't take of and land from within. Best to talk to the ranger and hence permissions. Better than a ticket or worse, they confenscate it.

Agreed. I can't tell though if this area falls under authority of the National Park Service. Their maps are ambiguous.

http://www.nps.gov/guis/learn/index.htm

I've reached out to them, but have not heard back.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj