Would you call this a windy day? :)

Reaction score
This is my flight path after a somewhat windy day. Moral of the story. Don't fly when it is windy. :)

Attachments

• windy day.jpg
    windy day.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 967
Some would find it fun. I am with you. I carry an anemometer with me now so I get measurements.

Last edited:
Reactions: Numone
It wasn't fun at all. It was sort of scary and very hard to land. The wind was forcing it down, and left or right. I was never more happy to just get the thing on the ground and packed up to go home. It was simply a mess. I might post the actual flight data if I can find a way to get it off of my iPad. I was also getting engine at max speed warnings as the drone was fighting to stabilize itself.

I believe it. The engine can only do so much. And that with the full Auto mode I would imagine. I can't believe some people are able to fly in ATTI mode! Maybe I'll get there in time. :)

Reactions: deltalimatango
I am a big fan of auto-mode flying. I have nothing to prove. I fly it manually and then have it return automatically if it disconnects. While my insurance will cover it for lose or damage, I still take care of it as best I can.

Reactions: 28wins
Looks like the tracks of a Phantom which lost a motor or prop.

Looks like the tracks of a Phantom which lost a motor or prop.

Nope. Lost to the wind. It took off fine and after a few mins of shear panic it landed fine. All props and motors were spinning like normal. To test it, I landed, took off, went up about 40 meters and let it hover. Immediately the wind started pushing it left and then right. Brought it back down.

Hey
I believe it. The engine can only do so much. And that with the full Auto mode I would imagine. I can't believe some people are able to fly in ATTI mode! Maybe I'll get there in time. :)

What kind of meter do you use? A basic handheld unit? I am thinking go to get one today. Thanks in advance.

Hey

What kind of meter do you use? A basic handheld unit? I am thinking go to get one today. Thanks in advance.

I highly recommend the Vaavud Sleipnir (wind speed and direction) and Vaavud Mjolnir (wind speed only). I have both and use them with my iPhone 6 (they plug into the phone jack). The value is in the precision and the meter + companion app combo.

Last edited:
Don't you even try to use an app like Hover or UAV Forecast to see what the weather report and wind speed is?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Don't you even try to use an app like Hover or UAV Forecast to see what the weather report and wind speed is?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nope, hence me purchasing an anemometer. Considering I am in Finland, not sure if those sites would work, and having the device in my bag is always handy.

I use UAV Forecast in the UK, recently it has been wrong with both wind speeds and precipitation. :0( Think I'll buy an anemometer

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm pretty amazed what these Phantoms can fly in. I recently flew the No. Calif coastline in 25mph winds, which was against my instincts for safe flight. But there was a kite surfer tearing up the ocean jumping waves at ~40mph (my estimate) that was too tempting to pass up. I flew it with no problem. After viewing the video I was blown away how good it was, steady as a rock. You couldn't even tell I was struggling to go 5mph at times (P3P craft). Landing went well with a hand catch, no problem. I think a wind meter is essential tool in the bag, mine cost $30. Once the wind gets above 20 mph, without a wind meter it's difficult to determine if it's 20 or 30mph by feel. The meter helps to sway me if the flight is reasonably safe or not. Fortunately I rarely need to use it, living on So. Calif.

I'm pretty amazed what these Phantoms can fly in. I recently flew the No. Calif coastline in 25mph winds, which was against my instincts for safe flight. But there was a kite surfer tearing up the ocean jumping waves at ~40mph (my estimate) that was too tempting to pass up. I flew it with no problem. After viewing the video I was blown away how good it was, steady as a rock. You couldn't even tell I was struggling to go 5mph at times (P3P craft). Landing went well with a hand catch, no problem. I think a wind meter is essential tool in the bag, mine cost $30. Once the wind gets above 20 mph, without a wind meter it's difficult to determine if it's 20 or 30mph by feel. The meter helps to sway me if the flight is reasonably safe or not. Fortunately I rarely need to use it, living on So. Calif.
Your $30 unit is £64 ($85) here in the UK...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic