Would this device block GPS signal?

To be fair, your hand is a lot different than plastic (e.g. it has water in it)...
Well I guess to test this theory you could put a phantom battery on top of the quad to see if it blocks GPS signals.

thats a crap thing to do being that you dont own one. GPS's in phones are covered by the plastic/glass/metal case and work just fine. My P3 picks up a GPS signal in my basement and therefore covered by my house. I dont understand the negativity unless you own and can honestly review it.
I added a " proceed with caution" comment on this. Wow.

To be fair, your hand is a lot different than plastic (e.g. it has water in it)...

Anyway... way back last fall I wasn't happy with the time it took to get my satellites even after the re-route GPS cable mod, just for fun I took my dremel out and ground away at the plastic in the inside center of the plastic top. I ground away that little circle in the middle and part of the perpendicular branches that led away from it. I also ground a layer off the plastic lid itself right in the middle. Afterwards, I did seem to get my satellites quicker. I can't give it a fair comparison test though...
The primary GPS in my boat sits on the helm surrounded by several displays and a bunch of wires. Under a fiberglass top with some wires running through it. Works fine.

The third / fourth generation GPS systems are frigging incredible. My iPhone is currently registering a valid GPS lock on the ground floor of my house, three feet from the window. A few LEDs are unlikely to make a difference. Also realize that the GPS constellation isn't always 'up' in relationship to the drone - it can be sideways and, at altitude, even below the craft. So stuff on 'top' may not make much of a difference.

Only thing that would effectively block the GPS signal on the Phantom would be aluminum foil (seen it on a tested.com Youtube page).

@9:56 seconds in

Good to know. I undid the product comment. I still however will not personally use any accessories that will mount on top of my phantom. Thanks for posting everyone.

Think about all the stuff a car gps signal goes through and the phantom3a/p and i'd assume 4 have access to more satellites iirc. Pretty unfair to write a negative review over an untested theory.....

well I can leave a review,

Satellites , Litchi, OH MY

after that post, I tested it,, 7-10 satellites vs 15-20 without it.

Also, flying around I will go from 7-10 average to 3 for a split second.
unacceptable, and during that litchi mission I ran, I was lucky I had signal to get it back.

I have that PP kit, have had it about a week and 4x long flights. No GPS problems, I have more of an issue with the way the kit actually fits. The lights the way they clip to the legs are for lack of a better description sub-optimal, and the cradle that fits on the top is just "meh". I could get the same value with some Planet Bike blinkies wire tied to the legs. It's going back.

Yes these do cause interference. I will refer to mine anyway. Without a doubt it caused interference on my phantom 3 advanced right down to having to fly it home with no gps. Maybe it depends on where you live and how many satellites are available but I won't be using them again. Under normal conditions I'm only pulling in mid to high teens for number of satellites

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20