Would this be possible?

Reaction score
I am just thinking of some options for myself. I really enjoy my P3P but miss some of the fantastic shots I could give my clients with my P2 and GoPro. I much prefer the camera on the P3P and like the functionality of the pilot app but don't enjoy the latency. I know some here have said they don't have a problem with the latency but with the type of video that I offer to my clients I need to see the video in real time. We often shoot in not so ideal conditions, area and strong winds etc, and having lag on the video when I fly a lot of fpv close to and through objects means the 250ms to 500ms lag is making it harder if not impossible on some of the footage we trying to get.

My question is would it be possible to fit an analogue 5.8 vtx to run the video to a screen, which I was using for my P2 and GoPro setup? I would only like to take the video line to the 5.8 vtx and the rest would appear on the tablet and app as per normal (I guess I could leave the map running on the tablet). Anyone know if it could be done easily and how to do it?

Any other better suggestions to get real time video would also be great. :)

Thanks Jase

What tablet do you use? I use an iPad and never had a lag of more than 200 ms except for when there was a signal problem. In tight shots I position myself so that at the critical moments I switch to LOS to assess the distance.

You can also try the HDMI board, but I have not used it, so I don"t know what lag there is.

**** I replied to you guys and lost my message just before sending it so not going to write it again. :(

Basically even 200ms is still not fast enough. I've heard the HDMI also has similar lag. The lag on a analogue is much faster but not sure what it is.

Can anyone help with my question?

Thanks
Jase

Your question is bit unclear, but it sounds like you want to split the video feed from the P3 camera so the Go app displays the video as normal, but another feed from the same P3 camera is transmitted with an add-on analog transmitter to get real time response on a second monitor connected to a separate analog receiver. I don't think that's possible, but I like the idea.

Last edited:
The 150-200ms latency takes some getting use to, admittedly. When tracking fast moving objects like water skiers, Seadoos, boats, skateboarding, etc you will find yourself losing the framing of the subject when panning left or right using yaw. Its most noticeable at the end of a pan, panning too far because of the latency. However with practice you can adapt, somewhat. It's not easy though, takes lots of stick time to learn. Predicting the direction of your subject is the difficult part you have no control of, so it's never 100% accurate.

Last edited:
Thanks John. Yeah I want to use a 5.8vtx separately to feed video and to use my old screen with hood that I used for my P2 setup. This screen is fitted in a radio tray that I made that carries the transmitter. I can still fit my tablet on this tray under my screen and can use it to display the map and to set the camera etc. I would think the existing video line from the camera would need to run to the 5.8 vtx and I would also need to power the 5.8 vtx unit from the P3 if possible. If the video is split and goes to the 5.8 and the app that is also not a problem as clients can use that to view what we getting.

I have already done a lot of flying with my unit so I know you have to adjust and anticipate the movement etc because of the lag. If you doing orbits around objects at 20m or higher altitudes then its not great but you can do it. But if you doing orbits around objects at 1.5 - 2m high and only 1.5m away from them. Now imagine the object is moving as well and the wind is blowing at 20 - 25km/h. It is now not possible to do this and remain super smooth with this lag issue. You have to be able to react in real time. I could do this with my P2 and only because I was reacting in real time.

Guys can I ask that the topic stays on the question of this thread on the first post or any other ideas on how to get real time video. I'm not sure what lag analogue systems have but that's my reference to what is real time. If my light bridge system was running at 50ms or less then I would look at other options of trying to improve it by tweaking my tablet etc (Which I have done anyway). Lightbridge is around 150ms - 500ms and isn't close too good enough so I want other options

Any help is very appreciated
Thanks Jase

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues