Would this be a possible way to charge iphone while flying?

Reaction score
Would this be a possible way to charge iPhone while flying?

When I use my iphone 5s it destorys my battery.

Even if I have no apps running, airplane mode on, location services off, everything off, fresh reboot, and battery at 100%.

My solution would be to be able to use one of my portable external charging power banks while flying.

Would this do the trick?
30CM USB 2.0 A Power Enhancer Y 1 Female to 2 Male: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

This cable allows for power to be taken from 2 USB ports, like a PC and External hard drive.
Note: The red marked Male cable is just for charging; Another is Charging & Data Sync Cable

My son's iPhone 6 battery needs a replacement ... soon, but not quite yet for general use of the phone.

But the DJI GO app is so power-hungry that we now get about 5 min flying time until the phone has no battery power.

So: is there a setup to provide more battery-juice while controlling the DJI? We do have an external battery but how to connect it to the setup?

I don't know if this has worked or if anyone has tried it, but I am thinking of getting this from amazon:

51Om9iFHdhL._SL1000_.jpg

From the description
Does one USB port not supply enough power for your USB device This Sync USB Power Adapter Y cable for your is the solution. This cable allows for power to be taken from 2 USB ports
USB 2 Male TO USB Female Allows you to link 1 USB device into 2 USB Ports on your PC for more power.

The red marked Male cable is just for charging to bring more power; Another is Charging & Data Sync Cable

Might just order this and try it.

I will connect on lead to my portable power bank and plug the other lead into my phantom controller

I close and open two different apps while in flight and the RC doesn't actually need the phone anyway, thus it should be a problem. Test it first on the ground without props. The only difficulty I could see is trying to get the App to reconnect.
Cheers

I just ordered it amazon prime, if it works I will keep it. Either way I will update this post with the results

I just ordered it amazon prime, if it works I will keep it. Either way I will update this post with the results
Let's know if it works.

My only concern is what happens when 5.0 voltage from RC is different from that of 5.0 V external supply.

Last edited:
I can happily fly all four of my fully charged @dji intelligent flight battery packs consecutive, and still have plenty of onboard juice left in my iPad Air 2 64gb Cellular. Them iPhone batteries being discussed here must be a very low voltage, even when topped up. That's poor performance from a top brand, approved and respected device.

RedHotPoker

No doubt about it, my iphone 5s battery blows, need to upgrade
In the meantime if this works it will be a cheap solution until I do

Well it didn't work. Seems cheaply made as well. I think it would be possible to create a cable that would/could do this. I suppose one would argue I should just upgrade my phone but I do not want to spend the money at the time. Oh well, it was worth a shot. . . . .

Reactions: matti
Eh, have no fear, the Apple iPad Air 3 128gb Cellular, is near.
Not sure why it wasn't released yet, & today would have been an ideal day to do it. Newest iOS was released earlier today, so a brand new powerhouse device would have been sweet. Just a smaller new phone, power aced of course... Some regular updates and bug fixes oh and Night Shift was introduced for us late night dwellers. The blurb is in the link
iOS 9.3 Updates
But yeah, iPad Air 3, Very Soon, I think.
No sir, "It won't be long now", said the Rabbi. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
No doubt an ipad air 2 is the way to roll, but I have other pressing expenses that I can't ignore at the moment. Would be nice if there was a reliable cable that could do what the cable I purchased was advertised to do. I think there are others in my situation that could benefit.

Eh, have no fear, the Apple iPad Air 3 128gb Cellular, is near.
Not sure why it wasn't released yet, & today would have been an ideal day to do it. Newest iOS was released earlier today, so a brand new powerhouse device would have been sweet. Just a smaller new phone, power aced of course... Some regular updates and bug fixes oh and Night Shift was introduced for us late night dwellers. The blurb is in the link
iOS 9.3 Updates
But yeah, iPad Air 3, Very Soon, I think.
No sir, "It won't be long now", said the Rabbi. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

The iPad Air 3 is the 9.7'' iPad Pro. You won't be seeing an iPad Air 3 unfortunately.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31