Would small magnets on the base of the feet interfere with anything?

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if adding small magnets to the bottom the of landing gear (where foam pads are) would cause any sort of interference with the phantom. They are pancakes, about 2.5mm tall and a diameter of 9mm, and are rare earth magnets. I would put two per foot.

I am curious if anyone thinks this will cause issue with flying the drone. Thanks for the input!

-ishmo

The compass is located near the bottom of one of the landing gear feet. For that reason, I would not recommend you place a magnet in that location.

Reactions: droney
The compass is located near the bottom of one of the landing gear feet. For that reason, I would not recommend you place a magnet in that location.
+1

These neodymium magnets are extremly powerful. Probably that's the reason you like them for whatever you want to stuck underneath there. I can only imagine it would mess up you compass in a big way as their field, because of the proximity, is much stronger then the natural field.
A good old needle compass would go haywire if your magents are close and so would the electronic equivalent.

Hi,

I was wondering if adding small magnets to the bottom the of landing gear (where foam pads are) would cause any sort of interference with the phantom. They are pancakes, about 2.5mm tall and a diameter of 9mm, and are rare earth magnets. I would put two per foot.

I am curious if anyone thinks this will cause issue with flying the drone. Thanks for the input!

-ishmo

"It would be bad, Ray." - Egon (Ghostbusters)

Ah thanks for the info.

If I were to attach bits of steel on the phantom instead of magnets and had it land on a magnetic base, would it do permanent damage to the electronic compass or calibration? It wouldn't matter that the flight would be messed up since it would have landed.

What purpose? Where are you landing, on a moving car? ;-)

The metal plate idea, is also a definite no-no too!!

Perhaps you should "RTFM" again... ;-)

RedHotPoker

ya it would be bad and you dont even want to get magnets near your phantom if you can help it. I screwed a compass up one time just because I had my cell phone to close to the compass even. it took me hours of having to degauss the compass before I could get it to work again and to calibrate. Its a real pain in the butt to fix a compass that went near a magnet of any kind.

Just even moving a magnet near the compass will show on the compass mod values going all over the place.

The magnets on your "landing plate" will already interfere BEFORE you land. Imagine your phantom starts tilting just 5 inches about a nice solid metal plate! Don't do it!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj