Worth upgrading Phantom 2 or just buy Phantom 3?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie with a new drone (quadcopter) that I got for dirt cheap which is a DJI Phantom 2. I got it because I was a little fascinated with drones but never really thought they would be this amazingly fun.
I've only flown indoor small RC helicopters before. I own a Sony Action cam X1000V.

What I would really love is to have a gimbal with a camera mounted and an FPV set up so I can monitor while I fly the drone. but it seems to be so expensive to upgrade my Phantom 2.

So to cut to the question, is it worth upgrading my Phantom 2 or should I maybe just fly around and keep having fun with it but really buy a Phantom 3 instead if I want nice aerial video and FPV?

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

With the P3 Standard as cheap as $500 you can't go wrong. To buy a decent gimbal (Zenmuse) you are looking a couple hundred dollars right there.
It has it all in one sleek package. I own a P2 all modded with just about everything. It is capable but it takes so much more to make it all happen not to mention the fortune I have sunk into it. I picked up a P3S as it is the best bargain in quads today! That makes 6 quads in my 'nest'. :D

Hey guys,

I'm a newbie with a new drone (quadcopter) that I got for dirt cheap which is a DJI Phantom 2. I got it because I was a little fascinated with drones but never really thought they would be this amazingly fun.
I've only flown indoor small RC helicopters before. I own a Sony Action cam X1000V.

What I would really love is to have a gimbal with a camera mounted and an FPV set up so I can monitor while I fly the drone. but it seems to be so expensive to upgrade my Phantom 2.

So to cut to the question, is it worth upgrading my Phantom 2 or should I maybe just fly around and keep having fun with it but really buy a Phantom 3 instead if I want nice aerial video and FPV?

have fun flying the p2, consider it your sport quad!
at 499 for new standard p3, the economics and abilities say buy the new quad.

good luck and have fun flying(whichever you choose)!

Thank you so much for the replies and the welcoming :)

I guess you guys are right, I've been completely obsessed with DJI Phantoms ever since getting this beautiful drone! It's such a delight everytime I take it out flying and I am feeling like a child!

I was hoping being a newbie and all that I may have missed something and that it wouldn't be so expensive but know I got to hear it from the experts! I would really like the Phantom 3 advanced, even though the standard is a better deal and a great upgrade from what I have now. I just would love to have that lightbridge technology!

Even if I were to get that one, I'd probably still keep this one as a sport quad :) something to be more wreckless with (the drone, I wouldn't want to put people in danger by doing something stupid).

If you decide to keep your P2, you can find deals on all the FPV pieces (screen, cables, IOSmini, etc.). Just gotta be patient and look around (ebay, etc.). Thats how I upgraded my P2. I debated on getting the P3, but my P2 now can do what I want it to do and having fun with it. Maybe I'll look to upgrade to the P4 once its released but we'll see. I'd like to see where all the drone laws and regulations are headed before I commit more time and money to the hobby itself.

Another opinion.

I like the P2 with the FPV setup. Yes it was work to research, get, and install all of the various pieces. But, it operates on its own without smart phone technology. Not having a smart phone (I'm a flip phone guy - I know, I know, I'm a tech dinosaur) I like that. With the P3, a smart phone/tablet, etc. is needed, along with doing more preflight/start-up system checks, firmware updates, etc. With the P2, I'm in the air quickly. And yes, I'll likely upgrade to something newer someday, probably an Inspire.

Hey guys,

If you have a GoPro camera you can always find a gimbal for cheap on eBay, but then comes the monitor, the receiver, the transmitter, the mini IOSD etc. by the time you gather everything together you already spent around $1100 . Just go a head and get a phantom 3.

What I've found is usually you can get a much better setup I terms of video quality on a P2 with a Gopro. However, it requires much more money to be put into it, and after it's all said and done, you could meet or exceed the price of a P3 Professional

Excellent points, I was really not expecting to love the flying this thing as much as I do. I've only owned it for three weeks but everytime I have some spare hours I just take it out to fly a little bit. I'm so impressed by it and I really hate not having an FPV setup, my depth perception is not as good as I would like :)

Seeing as I got this as a starter and have now really grown in love with the hobby and done some research it seems as though it would be better to just buy a Phantom 3 or wait for a Phantom 4.

Also I do have a 4K TV and I have a Sony Action Cam X1000V which is a 4K action cam. And the footage looks amazing, so I'm really hoping that the new Phantoms will bring 4K to be more standard through the lineup.

Although I do love tinkering with tech, spending 1100 dollars to get something like a Phantom 3 4K just doesn't make sense for me. So I guess I'll keep flying this thing and be really happy about my new hobby and patiently wait for a Phantom 4 announcement and then decide for either Phantom 3 or Phantom 4.

Excellent points, I was really not expecting to love the flying this thing as much as I do. I've only owned it for three weeks but everytime I have some spare hours I just take it out to fly a little bit. I'm so impressed by it and I really hate not having an FPV setup, my depth perception is not as good as I would like :)

Same for me... got my P2 last July, now I actually build one from scratch! lol... Getting a little too much into it now I guess... And it took me about 3 weeks to bite the bullet and invest in the FPV system, and I have no regrets whatsoever. But then again, at that time, the P3's were still expensive. If it were now, I'd probably get a P3 Advanced. I might just sell my P2 setup and do that... maybe...

Reactions: Juventino
Same for me... got my P2 last July, now I actually build one from scratch! lol... Getting a little too much into it now I guess... And it took me about 3 weeks to bite the bullet and invest in the FPV system, and I have no regrets whatsoever. But then again, at that time, the P3's were still expensive. If it were now, I'd probably get a P3 Advanced. I might just sell my P2 setup and do that... maybe...
Wait on a p4 beforr you decide.

I'm actually interested to see what GoPro's "Karma" can do... I wish they would just release the specs already!
Yeah...I'm like you I purchased the P2 and added FPV so I'm good with my set-up for now. Eventually I'd like to upgrade but 2 things I'm looking at....1) The P4 and what GoPro has to offer with their drone and 2) where the laws/regulations are going with drones. Right now it appears fine with the FAA registration and all but if I'm gonna spend $$$ on another drone I'd like to know if I'll be able to fly it without being hassled or more permits required or probably an eventual license, etc.

Yeah...I'm like you I purchased the P2 and added FPV so I'm good with my set-up for now. Eventually I'd like to upgrade but 2 things I'm looking at....1) The P4 and what GoPro has to offer with their drone and 2) where the laws/regulations are going with drones. Right now it appears fine with the FAA registration and all but if I'm gonna spend $$$ on another drone I'd like to know if I'll be able to fly it without being hassled or more permits required or probably an eventual license, etc.

You've gotta think that nothing will change with the FAA, except hopefully the "licensed pilot" requirement for the 333 Exemption. GoPro's quad really NEEDS to be in the same price range as the Phantom, or it won't compete. So hopefully it'll have close to the same specs as the Phantoms. Only time will tell... I just build my own quad, so I'll mess with that until Springtime...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj