Worth buying a tablet for Phantom3?

Reaction score
As the title says, is it worth buying a dedicated tablet for the drone? Can anyone comment on what your experience was using both devices? Apart from the obvious advantage of a bigger screen: I can't think of much.

The reason I ask is I feel I won't have much use for a tablet besides linking it to my phantom. Is is sort of in the intermediate level between a phone and laptop - and I much prefer using a keyboard. The tablet I have in mind is the Xiaomi Mi Pad. Anyone had any experience with this combination. The current phone I used for flying is the Oneplus one

In my experience my iOS devices have all outperformed any android phone or tablet I have tried to fly with. Stick with the "i" Mack. I sometimes use an ipad mini 4 and it is by far the brightest device I have ever seen in broad daylight, I don't even use a sun shade with it.

In a word, YES. IMHO, you don't need a dedicated tablet but I think you will like something larger than a cell phone?

I use a dedicated iPad mini 3 and it has worked flawlessly so far. I did have to get a sunshade though.

A larger screen certainly helps. Some tablets don't have GPS chips however meaning I'm stuck without the follow me function unless I shell out a fair amount.

I bought an iPad 4 Mini with cellular for the GPS. With my limited number of flights so far it has been great.

Planned on it being a dedicated device for the RC, but glad I went with extra memory because it has been quite useful in other areas. Will be keeping a careful eye on what I install and be sure any non-drone apps don't run in the background (notifications, etc.) because it is for the Phantom first and foremost.

Went from Nexus 5 to Samsung Tab 4 8" to Samsung Tab A 9.7" couldn't be happier much better with the increased screen size of at least the 8". In my opinion Androids are far more 'cost effective' versus iCult products and would be hard to even find one WITHOUT built in GPS, versus paying for broadband on an iPad just to get it.

I've also been very happy with a Nexus 7 2013. Still the brightest display after almost 3 years and a great value at $100-125. If I were buying today, I might go for a bigger screen.

I cannot weigh in on using a phone, but I do have a dedicated mini i pad 2 with GPS and phone. It turned out that when my wife renewed her phone at Verizon, for an extra 10 bucks I got the i pad. I did not take a phone contract on it, so it is strictly an i pad. Couldn't pass it up! So i use one strictly for the Phantom and the other for everything else. I am going to try a matte finish screen protector on it to see if I can eliminate some of the glare and finger prints. Even though I use the screen shade, the glare is terrible. I was having a hell of a time with the screen shade in the holder with the i pad, it kept falling out so i used a couple velcro dots on the back of the shade and on the top of the i pad and it seems to keep it where it belongs and no longer falls out when moved.

Well I'm feeling quite convinced that using a tablet will enhance the experience as a whole. iPad mini is a bit out of my price range, considering the fact I recently bought a Form2 3D printer - and doesn't even arrived for another month!

So Nexus 7 seems to be popular, however I still find the Xiaomi pad very intriguing despite its lack of gps. I hear you can tether your gps from your phone to tablet. anyone had experience with this?

I got my Phantom 3 Standard up for it's maiden flight yesterday. Loved it except for the cheap flimsy device holder. And from what I have found on the internet, there is very little one can do to mount a 6" tablet. Surely there is something out there that doesn't require a modification of the receiver housing. The best thing I could find was a sticky pad to put on the backside of the tablet and then mount it into the clamp.

I bought an iPad Mini 2 (wifi only) specifically to use with my PSP. When I want GPS mode capability I use my iPhone 6.

This combo has served me well although if I did it over I would have gotten the cellular model for gps (am about to buy Dual GPS module for use in current setup).

I also bought the iPad mini Pad Hat from www.hoodivision.com and this works well when flying in direct sunlight. I've heard the iPad Air 2 has special glass for glare reduction but I have not used it personally.

So I grabbed a Nexus 7 2012 (1st gen however) in the end. £30 on ebay, so can't go wrong really. Hope it's the right choice.

i have three of them floating around here.
bigger tablet the better it it is to see.

What options should I be looking for in an iPad mini ?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm sorry if this subject has been beat to death , but I'm still confused

If I use an iPad with wifi only , the only options I will not have it follow me option?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav