WORRYING FOR NOTHING?

Reaction score
Hi all, I have had my phantom vision now for nearly a month.

I have flown it several times in different locations (relatively close 5miles give or take) only doing the compass dance once on initial set up

I always set off correctly making sure I have home loc and 7plus satellites and up to now I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever .

my question is. as I am not particularly computer minded and I only have a mac book so I have not updated anything, after reading some peoples problems with doing this I am reluctant to start.

for those out there that seem to know what they are talking about, you always seem to ask 'what software was being used'

I would usually say 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'

your thoughts? thanks

PETELEEUK said:
Hi all, I have had my phantom vision now for nearly a month.

I have flown it several times in different locations (relatively close 5miles give or take) only doing the compass dance once on initial set up

I always set off correctly making sure I have home loc and 7plus satellites and up to now I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever .

my question is. as I am not particularly computer minded and I only have a mac book so I have not updated anything, after reading some peoples problems with doing this I am reluctant to start.

for those out there that seem to know what they are talking about, you always seem to ask 'what software was being used'

I would usually say 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'

your thoughts? thanks

You won't have problems until you have problems. 2 examples:

On the Phantom 1, FW 4.0 introduced a Geofence feature that was so bugged, if you flew too far the quad would hang in the air and not move, not come home, not do anything until it ran out of batteries and descended. Maybe into a lake or tree or wherever it was at the time. It was fixed in FW 4.02. But if you don't usually fly it out that far, is it really broken? I know someone who didn't usually fly it that far, then one day they did (over the St. Lawrence river) and only didn't lose the quad by several incredible strokes of luck and coincidences.

On the P2V, the initial FW was set so that if the NAZA sensed an "invalid battery" in flight, it would cut control to the TX and auto-land. There were numerous cases in which a bad connection to the battery's data pins would cause this invalid battery fault, and many people experienced this loss of control, with some people losing or crashing their P2Vs as a direct result of it. Many people never had the issue. DJI issued a firmware fix so that a fault detected in flight would result in a warning message but wouldn't trigger loss of control and auto-land.

So, would you be comfortable flying firmware versions without these fixes? New firmware may introduce new bugs (this is an unfortunate fact of life in software design) so there's no real right answer, but it's up to you.

I think ElGuano has a point. I've had my Phantom 2 Vision for about three weeks now. I upgraded the original software/Firmware early on (not including this latest camera update) and everything has worked as advertised. You might do well to upgrade the Phantom, the controller, and the smartphone app.

However (and this is just my opinion), I would shy away from this latest camera upgrade. From what I understand, it is geared toward being able to take pics in RAW mode, which you apparently cannot do without it. I don't even know what RAW mode IS, so I know I don't need it.

I'm a bit on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" side of most things, so I get your hesitancy here PETELEEUK. But the upgrades prior to the camera fiasco are, I think, worth it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4