worried about accidentally turning motors off

Reaction score
I have had my Phantom 2 for almost 24 hours and of course I rushed out to get a flight under my belt. ;)
Its easy to fly, I have plenty of RC model experience and I quickly gained confidence so I took it up high for a while to see how it handled. I noticed how much quicker it was going up than coming down, so to get maximum descent speed I really need to hold the left throttle stick at the bottom. But before I took off I noticed that holding the left throttle stick down for a few seconds switched the motors off, so when flying I was careful to not hold the stick down for more than a second.

My question is, if I try to descend as fast as possible by holding the throttle stick down while flying, will the motors switch off while flying?

Depends on how you have them set up in the assist software. Do you have the motors set to Immediately Mode, or Intelligent Mode? If they are set to Immediate then yes, you can stop the motors in flight. I highly suggest you stop flying for an hour and read the manual. Not trying to be a **** here... but there is very important information in the manuals you should understand before flying.

U.M.

The latest Assistant Software doesn't have that immediate shut down mode, it should arrive in the Intelligent setting where it won't shut down while flying if you pull throttle fully down.
You can theoretically do it by executing a CSC - hard to do by accident unless trying to make it loop or something!

Throttle fully back for 3-5 seconds is much the best way to stop after landing or hand catching though.
CSC then can easily make it try to tip over if you don't do it perfectly.

Uncle Meat said:
but there is very important information in the manuals you should understand before flying.

+1 from me. Reading them throroughly from start to finish will save you potential heartache further down the line!!

+1 for what 4WD said.

Stopping the motors, till you have the technique down, is beat done by holding the throttle at full down for a couple of seconds.

Tom

The manual says you can stop the motor with just the left stick when on the ground, but it does not say what will happen if you do the same stick movement while in the air.

Thanks 4wd for the assurance.

ChainsawDude said:
The manual says you can stop the motor with just the left stick when on the ground, but it does not say what will happen if you do the same stick movement while in the air.

Thanks 4wd for the assurance.

It uses the barometer to detect altitude changes. In intelligent mode it will only shut down the motors if it sense no more downward movement after a few seconds. This is especially important given the fw change to reduce max down throttle speed. Lots more people holding the throttle all the way down to get 2m/s now.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4