World's Forst Man-Carrying Multi-Rotor!

Reaction score
Greetings,

I don't know how many of you know about this development. It was featured in the Summer of 2014 issue of Rotor Drone magazine. There is a photo of the craft and it looks like a huge multi-rotor with a helicopter looking capsule and landing skids.

It has 18 electric motors. Supposedly the cabin is "extremely quiet" and it is a two seater. This is a prototype to test the feasibility of the main goal: Called a "Volocopter, the projected speed is targeted at 100km/hr. Flight altitude to 6,500' and a flight time of more than an hour, before recharging.

This was developed in Germany and the prototype was called the VC200. I wish I could provide the picture, in the magazine, but surely a Google search will bring you to the photo.

It seems our "toys" as called by some are producing technology that seems very amazing to me. Who knows how many Area 51's projects are exploring multi-rotors. Quite fascinating to me! But, I excite easily. :)

You mean this, ive seen the video on youtube for it and was impressive.

VC200_Seite_T_A.jpg

kitari said:
I seen a couple videos on youtube about it last year and it looked pretty cool. I bet it would be awesome to have an r/c multirotor you can take a ride in.
NOT if DJI made it.

crash1sttime said:
You mean this, ive seen the video on youtube for it and was impressive.

VC200_Seite_T_A.jpg

Yes, that is what I was referring to.

Looking at the photos, something seems strange. A full size helicopter can tilt the blade, for forward flight. Then the blade angle can be adjusted. So, how will this transition to forward flight? Like our Phantom's? It doesn't seem that that could give the advertised speed.

Edit: Looking where the body of the motor assembly attaches to the body, it might be possible that, that allows for tilting of the entire bay of motors. Plus, motor speed is variable. The flight time seems a little low. But, the ever increasing advances in battery technology, along with electric motors, will help.

One that I saw years ago still intrigues me. It was a two seater 'car' painted in racing car red. It had four ducted fans. It was supposed to be the first flying car, without wings.

But, they found it couldn't lift more than a foot or so, due to the ground effect. They stated that as battery technology and motor technology improves, the project will be 'launched.' We should be close. Maybe the whole project died. What a shame, it was SO cool looking!

Happyflyer said:
kitari said:
I seen a couple videos on youtube about it last year and it looked pretty cool. I bet it would be awesome to have an r/c multirotor you can take a ride in.
NOT if DJI made it.

Funny!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers