Working on my drone footage! My second day ever flying!

Reaction score
Hey guys! Here's my drone footage from today. I know nothing about filming so let me know what you think and please subscribe if you like it. Thanks!!

Hi there!

With the slow moving long shots coupled with the music it has a very eerie, horror-movie type feel to it!

Nice smooth footage but to keep interest in the video you need shorter shots. i found myself fast-forwarding. Just my 0.02

Hi there!

With the slow moving long shots coupled with the music it has a very eerie, horror-movie type feel to it!

Nice smooth footage but to keep interest in the video you need shorter shots. i found myself fast-forwarding. Just my 0.02

To be honest.....there's not much exciting to see at Lake George. I was making my way to Prospect Mountain and apparently that is a State Park also and it was closed so I just went to the same spot as the day before and shot some more. Really playing around with things as i have zero clue about filmography. A few sharp rotates in the video too. Working on getting the swing of fluidness of the controls. Hoping to find another place to shoot this weekend. Thanks for watching and adding in your input. I've been trying to watch videos and time how long people are on a single shot. It was about 30 seconds to minute. I was just stressing to find some cool shots.

I tend to agree with Ben. Lots of long sequences which becomes boring quickly. From a professional TV director that I worked for, the average sequence for a video is around 7 seconds before switching to another shot. Keep in mind that's for TV. There are exceptions of course. I also thought there were too many shots right together with no horizon. (pointed downward) That in itself isn't a bad thing except that they were so long as well. I was pleased to see that you didn't have half of the shot as sky. A lot of people put the horizon right in the middle of the screen. The sky should be about 20% of the shot unless you're trying to capture something really tall. Your proportion of sky to land was near perfect.

Otherwise the video itself is beautiful. The water looks so clear! Wish I lived around something like that. I think your fluidness of the controls is very good considering the minimal experience you mentioned!

This is my 2 cents worth, since you asked. You are free to ignore it. :p

I agree with Ben, 7 seconds per shot is the max you usually want to show a clip. There are exceptions, such as if the long shot adds something. For example, a fly over something of interest or a fly back and out to show perspective. Even then, you may want to speed up the shot to be around 7 seconds. You can also cut the clip in those situations which creates a jump in the same scene. You can also consider using the special flight modes to make the clips more interesting (POI while climbing, POI while elongating the circle, etc.). Another idea might be flying sideways past something while close to it. It comes into view quickly and it quickly out of frame.

It will sound strange until you make a lot of videos but you always want to tell a story in a video. You will hear this a lot. What that means is that you want to _lead_ the viewer in some _direction_. It's more of this "direction" than a "story". I think this is where the art and experience shows. You can watch a lot of vlogger's who use drones as good examples of what is possible. There are even a few aerial shows on Youtube that can give some insight as to what looks good. I tend to also mix clips from a land camera with drone footage.

Some people just want to take some clips and put them together. That is great as well. For me, it also gets me out of the house and to places I might not have otherwise gone.

Reactions: monkeychops
Man your 2 cents is worth at least $5 to me HAHA! Very useful information!!!! I will be keeping all that in mind. I try to visualize the shots I want to take but executing while editing is another ballgame. Even on my other youtube channel I have an average watch time of 3 minutes and 28 seconds. I know humans have very small attention spans when it comes to visuals. not saying that in a crappy way, I'm just the same....fast forwarding to the good stuff and getting bored within seconds. Also noticing the ground shots too. Really digging Sawyer Hartman's videos. Also I like how the drone is getting me out of the house. I'm taking small steps and ALL information is being helpful. Hopefully next few videos will be better. Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

Flying the drone close to something is what I'm worried about...not so much flying but people walking around. In a non crowed place this will work out fine but Lake George...for example, was crowed with people! So hard to get a drone to fly 5-6ft without someone freaking out over the roto blades chopping them to death. Hoping to get to a few more places this weekend. maybe the videos will improve! Thanks a bunch for all the info!!! I was actually really wondering what the average time was for a shot.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl