Word of Warning...Flyaway

Reaction score
Just returned home from a day of flying and had a near miss. Went to a very remote lake and found an excellent spot to launch. Set my compass, batteries warmed up, waited for the all clear, set my home point. Put my drone up about 10 feet or so and then it began flying backward towards some invisible force. I was standing near the frozen shoreline and nearly dropped a squib in my pants. I pulled down on the stick and crash landed in the snow just before it was gone forever. Then, and only then did the screen give me a warning about strong interference detected.
Thanks for the advanced warning....NOT....it nearly flew away on me. I could not figure out what the problem was, until I left the lake and discovered the cause, some high tension power lines nearby. I can not say how close they were to my launch point as they were hidden from my view, but I would guess maybe 1/4 mile.
That was a close call and it sure would have been nice to get the warning BEFORE I launched!!!! I do not know what I would have done different but I defiantly will be staying far-far away from them in the future...if I see them. And before someone ridicules me, this lake is in the mountains and is surrounded by 100+ Douglas fir trees. Pity, it was going to be an awesome video....

Then, and only then did the screen give me a warning about strong interference detected.
Thanks for the advanced warning....NOT....it nearly flew away on me. I could not figure out what the problem was, until I left the lake and discovered the cause, some high tension power lines nearby. I can not say how close they were to my launch point as they were hidden from my view, but I would guess maybe 1/4 mile.
I'd be very surprised if power lines a quarter mile away had any effect and I'd be looking further to find the cause of the incident.
Power lines at this distance have no effect:
i-fCm7SWD-L.png

Your flight data may help work out what really happened.
Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.

Reactions: AJT and Falcon900
Just returned home from a day of flying and had a near miss. Went to a very remote lake and found an excellent spot to launch. Set my compass, batteries warmed up, waited for the all clear, set my home point. Put my drone up about 10 feet or so and then it began flying backward towards some invisible force. I was standing near the frozen shoreline and nearly dropped a squib in my pants. I pulled down on the stick and crash landed in the snow just before it was gone forever. Then, and only then did the screen give me a warning about strong interference detected.
That was a close call and it sure would have been nice to get the warning BEFORE I launched!!!! I do not know what I would have done different but I defiantly will be staying far-far away from them in the future...if I see them. And before someone ridicules me, this lake is in the mountains and is surrounded by 100+ Douglas fir trees. Pity, it was going to be an awesome video....

What mode were you in at takeoff?

AD

To me, a "remote" lake is usually a lake in the middle of a forested area. And if that was the case, I would guess that nearby trees probably blocking a good portion of the visible sky behind you and you dropped below the minimum satellites into ATTI Mode and drifted with some wind that was coming off the lake.

Really should either mention what kind of Phantom this was or have been posted in a specific Phantom group. Otherwise there are about 5 Phantom models that this could have been.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20