Word of caution opening shell

WessexWyvern said:
Very helpful buddy :roll: - you never know, all your screws may be under torqued and your Phantom has been badly assembled. It could break at any moment...I'd strip it down and rebuild it just in case, better check all the solder joints too you never know :lol:

Ha-ha Only even soldered (successfully) 4 wires in my life so checking all the joints on a phantom is not really something that’s in my skillset :) but I do find it really funny that there’s a 2 page (EDIT 3 PAGE) topic about people been unable to correctly use a screwdriver to get the lid off a phantom without completely destroying everything.

I am dealing with this now. Definitely did not need this advice being I had great tools already, but those screw heads suck. Being patient and lots of downward pressure while removing does help, but sometimes still no bueno. I had to just drill out two of the small philips head screws at the end of two arms and now have to buy a shell because I want to be able to screw it back together properly. First time opening this shell, so I'm guessing the loktite was pretty strong. Never had this trouble on my other Phantoms.

At any rate, it's good advice using the right tools. I got a 2mm hand driver from amazon and also a tool set from iFixit.com and they are awesome.

Here is the 2mm hex driver.
http://4bestdealsonline.blogspot.com/20 ... s-2mm.html

You can get $10 off any iFixit Tool set order with this promo code.
https://www.ifixit.com/twit - Promo Code GIZWIZ

In case anyone is interested. Reduced Price Genuine DJI Phantom 2 Battery $134.90!!
http://4bestdealsonline.blogspot.com/20 ... ttery.html

quadcopter said:
av8inglife said:
Am I the only one who's screwdriver that came with the Phantom worked perfectly fine? :?

Factory worker must have dropped it by mistake in your box. Mine did not come with a factory screwdriver.. :?

Mine did...green handle and the end comes out to switch between Phillips and flat. The allen wrench fits the bolt BUT it's a pain taking those screw out because it rubs against the landing skids.

Hi,

I'm having trouble opening the case of my FC40 also, it's the tiny 4 screws right on the end of each arm. I didn't get any tools with it and having tried the screwdrivers I have I'm stopping as I just don't have the leverage, the size isn't quite right also and I don't want to screw it up!
Does anyone know exactly what size I need for this? I read on this board it's a Philips 000, is that right? Going to try and pick something up tomorrow.

How annoying, I got my flytrex v2 today and want to play :)

Thanks!

Matt

biondi said:
Hi,

I'm having trouble opening the case of my FC40 also, it's the tiny 4 screws right on the end of each arm. I didn't get any tools with it and having tried the screwdrivers I have I'm stopping as I just don't have the leverage, the size isn't quite right also and I don't want to screw it up!
Does anyone know exactly what size I need for this? I read on this board it's a Philips 000, is that right? Going to try and pick something up tomorrow.

How annoying, I got my flytrex v2 today and want to play :)

Thanks!

Matt

Yes, and take those screws out first, before any of the hex bolts, they come out much easier that way. Same for reassembly, put them back in last.

nzvideoguys said:
IrishSights said:
There are many, many posts here about stripped screw heads and the mega problems associated with getting the screw out and possible expensive damage to the hull. I speak from experience here!

My advice. Once they're out, don't put them back in. The two hex screws give ample pressure for the motor surrounds and the inner hex takes care of the centre.

I got a very slight bit more flex without those screws in place. But, with the right screwdriver, as the OP indicated, removing and reinstalling those screws is a breeze. I have a ton, from my laptop repair kits, so, I never tried either the DJI driver or any cheap "jewelers" screwdrivers. One needs a VERY VERY good, P00 philips head driver for it. A P0 will make a mess of it, and a P1 and up won't fit. A bad P00 will destroy the screw head.

IrishSights said:
I have one drilled out one with no screw in it. It flys just as it has always has done.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

I stripped one of the tiny phillips head screws at the end of the arm and took a dremel and extended teh slot in one of the stripped head slots to become a FLAT blade screw driver head. Then I simply used the provided screwdriver with the flat blade and took it right out. So that is another option for stripped screws. Use cutoff wheels to grind a slot in the head. You shouldnt have to drill it out, ruining the integrity of that screw hole...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20