Word of caution opening shell

Reaction score
There are many, many posts here about stripped screw heads and the mega problems associated with getting the screw out and possible expensive damage to the hull. I speak from experience here!

Reduce the risk by using the right screwdrivers. DO NOT TRY IT WITH NORMAL JEWELLERS SCREWWDRIVERS. The screws are fitted at the factory with loctite or similar, you will not get the torque you need to loosen them.

Invest in a SET of precision screwdrivers with a A HANDLE to get the torque.

Make sure the driver fits tightly into the screw head before turning it.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

IrishSights said:
There are many, many posts here about stripped screw heads and the mega problems associated with getting the screw out and possible expensive damage to the hull. I speak from experience here!

Reduce the risk by using the right screwdrivers. DO NOT TRY IT WITH NORMAL JEWELLERS SCREWWDRIVERS. The screws are fitted at the factory with loctite or similar, you will not get the torque you need to loosen them.

:D +1

IrishSights said:

I have stripped screws and can attest to this. I was adding prop guards, and stripped out a couple. Gonna be trouble to get them out, especially since they are right under the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is also important to apply lots of downwards pressure on the screw heads so the screwdriver doesnt "jump" out.

Reactions: rixlumb
2trickpony said:
I think it is also important to apply lots of downwards pressure on the screw heads so the screwdriver doesnt "jump" out.

+1, also make sure the screwdriver is stright on the screw, any deviation to the sides will cause issues.

IrishSights said:

My advice. Once they're out, don't put them back in. The two hex screws give ample pressure for the motor surrounds and the inner hex takes care of the centre.

I have one drilled out one with no screw in it. It flys just as it has always has done.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

jodaddy23 said:
use the one that came with it , push down , no problem .
Was a problem for me and a few others :(

After reading a lot of post about stripped out screws the most common one to get stripped out is the smallest Phillips head screw at the tip of each arm.
The best way I found to get these out safely is like everyone else's said use a quality screwdriver with a good handle and use plenty of down pressure and hold the screwdriver at the same angle as the screw head.
Another thing to make A smaller Phillips screws easier to come out is to remove those tiny screws first and letting the other screws keep the pressure off of the smaller screws.

av8inglife said:
Am I the only one who's screwdriver that came with the Phantom worked perfectly fine? :?

Factory worker must have dropped it by mistake in your box. Mine did not come with a factory screwdriver.. :?

Yep, been there done that. Stripped one of the Phillips head screws removing from the body. I have a real easy fix for resolving that if it happens to you. Also, I tried the screw extractor sets sold on Amazon too, didn't work AT ALL. The head was far too stripped for the extractor to grab on to.
Resolution.
Take a Dremel & attach a metal cutting disc to it. Cut a straight line across the head of the screw about .5mm down, it's not deep if your wondering only a couple of seconds under the Dremel blade. I then used a flat head screwdriver and unscrewed it. Worked perfectly.
If you plan on removing the phantoms shell for anything better seriously consider getting a screw replacement pack which has all the screws used in the phantoms assembly to have on hand. You have 2 out of 3 chance of stripping anyone of those screws.

I'm very careful about using right tools. That being said... I had to open my phantom and one of the Allen head screws just spun in place. Turns out the nut wasn't mounted well onto the shell. I removed the screw and nut. I'm one less screw on my phantom which is not a big deal but be careful not to over torque screws because the plastic mount for the nuts are very weak and fail.

The factory tightened those screws super tight.......assuming that was the easy part from the whole iOSD/AVL58 install, it was safe to conclude that opening the shell was the harder than soldering, and this was my first time soldering!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cr8tive_leo said:
av8inglife said:
Am I the only one who's screwdriver that came with the Phantom worked perfectly fine? :?

Mine works great too, the Alan key also is a charmer.

Maybe we're special?

+1 Never had any problems with using the tools provided (unlike normal tools that come with things)

Seems more like user error more than anything wrong with the Phantoms themselves.

Tappits said:
Cr8tive_leo said:
av8inglife said:

Mine works great too, the Alan key also is a charmer.

Maybe we're special?

+1 Never had any problems with using the tools provided (unlike normal tools that come with things)

Seems more like user error more than anything wrong with the Phantoms themselves.

Very helpful buddy :roll: - you never know, all your screws may be under torqued and your Phantom has been badly assembled. It could break at any moment...I'd strip it down and rebuild it just in case, better check all the solder joints too you never know :lol:

I bought this a while back and found it useful when dismantling my Phantom

$_35.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/11135394 ... 0&ff14=108

While it's necessary to apply enough downward pressure, having the right screwdriver bit means you don't need to go mad. Apply firm pressure and slowly increase the torque until the screw moves and you should be fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20