Woooha! 1st flight no problems!

Reaction score
Got my Phantom 2 with Zenmuse 3D gimbal and FPV monitor setup this morning, spent a while charging batteries and getting it set up then ventured to the park to try it out. In the back of my mind was watching the whole lot fly off into the distance never to be seen again..... but no, it behaved itself, no tip overs on landing and still as pristine as it was this morning. I have even drunk a beer to celebrate whilst the battery is on charge ready for the next voyage, perhaps even over 20m away! The Phantom is so much smaller than I thought. Really tiny - perhaps I've been conned and been give a scale model!

I first checked all the controls, compass calibrated and checked gopro wifi was off (I know it is recommended to leave off the gimbal and gopro to start with as damage limitation, but heeegh, in for a penny, in for a pound!). It was pretty windy, in fact worse than that, gusty - the Phantom performed admirably. It really fights against the wind to maintain postion which it did pretty well. I'm looking forward to trying it on a still day to see how well it holds then. Basically I flew in the middle of a field around me in about a 20m radius and no more than 10m up. As the wind gusted and moved it off course a little, I got the jitters it was misbehaving but in the calm of home it was just struggling a little.

What I am most happy about is the lack of jello. It was a very bright sunny day and I'm aware lots like to slow the shutter speed down with a ND filter to avoid the jello which from reading is most prevelant on bright days. Not a hint of it. Also watching my recorded video I'm also surprised how rock steady it is. As I said the wind was buffeting the poor thing around but you would never know from the footage.

All in all a successful 1st flight. Can't wait to get a few more nervous ventures under my belt so I can get more confident. Also need to get to grips with the turning but that will come in time.

Have fun with your future flights! I Have the Phantom now for a week or so.The nervousness is still here after a few flights. Because every time you want to go higher :).Today I took some great pictures. Loving it so far.

I flew in very wind-gusty conditions yesterday and it killed my battery way faster than calm conditions. If you only have one, before long you're going to want more batteries so you can just land, swap, and get right back up.

Welcome to the hobby! Fly safe please like not over crowds ;) I don't think any of us want to be the first person to kill someone with a hobby drone heh

Know what you mean about wanting more batteries. I did 2 flights yesterday, both uneventful but having to come home to charge was a faff.

I'm waiting for the nuke batteries to come back in stock - can't be doing with £100+ per battery. That is steep

On my 2nd flight I ventured a bit further away and threw it around a bit more - hopefully not long before I have confidence in myself and the Phantom

Congrats! I am 10 flights in and it gets so much easier! I just ordered two more batteries as well. Need more flight time!

Enjoy!

Get more batteries. :) I have 4 batteries and 2 chargers and if I carefully watch the temp on the motors and batteries I can fly just about non-stop (if I am near an outlet).

have fun!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj