Won't Start & No Image

Reaction score
Fellow pilots, I'm hoping someone can help me out here.
I have a Vision 2+ that I've probably used 6-8 times, it sits in my pelican case when not in use.

I topped everything off the other day, set it up, had green lights to go ... like 9+ sats and 1) It would not start & 2) There was no image from the camera ... but everything else seemed to work and check out ok!

Any ideas? I use it for work, I'm a Claims Adjuster and use it to inspect roofs or get a layout of an area when there has been a fire loss.

$1,500 into it and now it doesn't work!

Hello,

1) would not start
( are you saying the motors would not engage via CSC. )

2) no image
( can you explains exactly what it's doing? )
1) can you hook smart device to phantom network?
2) you get telemetry but no live video?
3) or just a black screen?

Lastly
What lights you getting?
Normal slow yellow until sats established, then fast green followed by slow green? ( assuming you are in phantom mode and not naza-mode. )

Please let us know.

Typically
When there are issues I follow these guidelines.

1) hook remote ( TX ) to RC ASSISTANT ,
Do a full calibration ( both sticks, both toggles and dial wheel. )
This will recalibrate your Tx, to factory standards.

2) hook phantom to PC ASSISTANT
Under BASIC TAB, then under RC TAB,
Calibrate your Tx there again, ( both sticks, s1 toggle, and dial wheel )
This will calibrate your TX to the bird, so they are in sync.

3) I usually do a ADVANCED IMU while in PC assistant as well ( but up to you )

4) lastly a FRESH COMPASS CALIBRATION.

This should bring bird and Tx back to factory fresh.

As for IMAGE TRANSMISSION,
Try rebinding the extender to wifi module using your MAC address.
I noticed when the extender sits for a while, or battery dies, it can lose its binding to bird.
( or wifi module has failed? ) unfortunately this can happen from sitting. Not sure why, but it can!

Keep us updated.

J Dot
:cool:

Hello,

1) would not start
( are you saying the motors would not engage via CSC. )

2) no image
( can you explains exactly what it's doing? )
1) can you hook smart device to phantom network?
2) you get telemetry but no live video?
3) or just a black screen?

Lastly
What lights you getting?
Normal slow yellow until sats established, then fast green followed by slow green? ( assuming you are in phantom mode and not naza-mode. )

Please let us know.

Typically
When there are issues I follow these guidelines.

1) hook remote ( TX ) to RC ASSISTANT ,
Do a full calibration ( both sticks, both toggles and dial wheel. )
This will recalibrate your Tx, to factory standards.

2) hook phantom to PC ASSISTANT
Under BASIC TAB, then under RC TAB,
Calibrate your Tx there again, ( both sticks, s1 toggle, and dial wheel )
This will calibrate your TX to the bird, so they are in sync.

3) I usually do a ADVANCED IMU while in PC assistant as well ( but up to you )

4) lastly a FRESH COMPASS CALIBRATION.

This should bring bird and Tx back to factory fresh.

As for IMAGE TRANSMISSION,
Try rebinding the extender to wifi module using your MAC address.
I noticed when the extender sits for a while, or battery dies, it can lose its binding to bird.
( or wifi module has failed? ) unfortunately this can happen from sitting. Not sure why, but it can!

Keep us updated.

J Dot

Thank you!

- Rotors would not engage, correct.
- In the Vision/DJI app the camera display itself is black ... like I left the lens cover on the camera but everything else appears normal.
- as I recall the lights flash through their various colors, red, yellow and after the calibration they blink a slow, steady green indicating it's found the sats and has its location and is ready to fly ... which matches the Vision/DJI app display.

I will connect to my computer as noted and go through the processes as noted. I'm guessing the unit needs an update or several at this point as I think it's been 6-9 months, maybe longer since I used it last. At that time it was perfectly fine by the way.

So I did everything you said, the remote was out of calibration a little bit but otherwise, everything checked out and was actually up to date.

Same issue, no start up and no camera image, just the spinning wheel where camera image should be!

Huh?
Well let me say this,
The no start and image issue are completely unrelated.
As the motor start runs from 5.8ghz radio frequency, where the wifi/image runs on its own 2.4ghz frequency. You can run either without the other ( in other words )

I.e.: ( you should be able to get fpv with Tx turned off )
And opposite, you can fly your bird with no camera.

Ok,
Let's run some tests.
Fpv first:

Try to start craft ( no tx ) only craft and extender on, see if you get image transmission?
If not
Do you have an android phone? If so download ( InSSIDer app )
This will track hidden wifi ( Mac addy )
Open app turn on BIRD ONLY!
Look for a wifi signal that looks like this ( 60:60:1f:??:??:?? )
?'s are your unique Mac addy, this will tell s if your module is sending signal at all!
If it is sending signal, try to REBIND, your craft with range extender
Using your Mac addy.
If it is not transmitting signal, the wifi unit is bad, if it is sending signal, and you can bind but still get no screen, wifi is most likely bad.

Last try to reinstall camera ( fc200 ) firmware for the plus camera ( careful not to install vision non plus fc200 firmware. )

If all this fails, a new wifi unit is most likely needed, could also be faulty wire, or?

Ok TX,

Let's try to REBIND the Tx to bird.

Turn on bird ONLY, NO TX, there is a flashing red button ( left side of belly of phantom, press it until it turns YELLOW, Now with it yellow, turn on Tx. It should bind and fast yellow arm blinks should turn slow yellow arm blinks ( or green if sats are established. )
Try to start motors.

( if no, most likely a bad RECEIVER UNIT, in bird or faulty Tx. ( broken antenna? Or antenna wire? Or transmitter )

Also try to place remote as close to craft as you can, if transmitter is failing it might work in close proximity, this is a tell tale sign of failing TX.

Try these out, and let us know!
Hope this helps.
J Dot

Huh?
Well let me say this,
The no start and image issue are completely unrelated.
As the motor start runs from 5.8ghz radio frequency, where the wifi/image runs on its own 2.4ghz frequency. You can run either without the other ( in other words )

I.e.: ( you should be able to get fpv with Tx turned off )
And opposite, you can fly your bird with no camera.

Ok,
Let's run some tests.
Fpv first:

Try to start craft ( no tx ) only craft and extender on, see if you get image transmission?
If not
Do you have an android phone? If so download ( InSSIDer app )
This will track hidden wifi ( Mac addy )
Open app turn on BIRD ONLY!
Look for a wifi signal that looks like this ( 60:60:1f:??:??:?? )
?'s are your unique Mac addy, this will tell s if your module is sending signal at all!
If it is sending signal, try to REBIND, your craft with range extender
Using your Mac addy.
If it is not transmitting signal, the wifi unit is bad, if it is sending signal, and you can bind but still get no screen, wifi is most likely bad.

Last try to reinstall camera ( fc200 ) firmware for the plus camera ( careful not to install vision non plus fc200 firmware. )

If all this fails, a new wifi unit is most likely needed, could also be faulty wire, or?

Ok TX,

Let's try to REBIND the Tx to bird.

Turn on bird ONLY, NO TX, there is a flashing red button ( left side of belly of phantom, press it until it turns YELLOW, Now with it yellow, turn on Tx. It should bind and fast yellow arm blinks should turn slow yellow arm blinks ( or green if sats are established. )
Try to start motors.

( if no, most likely a bad RECEIVER UNIT, in bird or faulty Tx. ( broken antenna? Or antenna wire? Or transmitter )

Also try to place remote as close to craft as you can, if transmitter is failing it might work in close proximity, this is a tell tale sign of failing TX.

Try these out, and let us know!
Hope this helps.
J Dot

J Dot,

THAT took care of the starting problem!!! Thank you!!!

I'm going to try and re-load the camera firmware next, it appears that's my o/s problem.

Strange how this just crapped out from sitting in a protective box with still 75% charges on everything?

I hear you,
Very strange, like there is a timer, and when your time is up, your time is up, lol.
( I used to work at a jet ski repair shop, and it was so strange, I'd get skis in from late 80's-early 90's, never been rebuilt, never been worked on, and still running and operating PERFECTLY ( brought in for tune up, or cable swap, stupid stuff like that, but they were riding them ALL THE TIME, almost daily! )
Then we would get skis in from 2000's look brand new, motor siezed up, rust EVERYWHERE, you name it, and hear the same answer, we only rode it once? So I'm a believer, in constant use, until it breaks! For some reason things don't like to sit! ( too long ) lol )

Plus it is NO FUN, in the case!o_O

J Dot

I hear you,
Very strange, like there is a timer, and when your time is up, your time is up, lol.
( I used to work at a jet ski repair shop, and it was so strange, I'd get skis in from late 80's-early 90's, never been rebuilt, never been worked on, and still running and operating PERFECTLY ( brought in for tune up, or cable swap, stupid stuff like that, but they were riding them ALL THE TIME, almost daily! )
Then we would get skis in from 2000's look brand new, motor siezed up, rust EVERYWHERE, you name it, and hear the same answer, we only rode it once? So I'm a believer, in constant use, until it breaks! For some reason things don't like to sit! ( too long ) lol )

Plus it is NO FUN, in the case!o_O

J Dot

Merry Christmas!

Well I have re-bound/bonded the unit, formatted micro SD card, downloaded and installed last update for camera and the end result is ... the same! :(

I simply can't get a live image from the camera, VERY frustrating so I guess I need to inquire about getting it serviced and/or replaced but it almost appears I can buy a whole new unit for almost the same $$$ and if that ends up being the case, it won't be another DJI - quite frankly no excuse for this kind of unreliability. I'd be surprised if I've used this thing 10 times since I bought it!

Thanks for you advice though 1 out of 2 is not bad.

While waiting for j-dot to respond i have had this problem and j-dot helped me out vision 2 plus has a wifi module problem. look for a working wifi module and replace it. the is a mod you can do to help keep it from happening to your new one. search vision 2 plus wifi mod here or with goggle there are YouTube Videos.
hope this helps.
i need to ask J-Dot about binding problem

Hello guys,
Yes sounds like a bad wifi module.
Call Mike I think he still has them? He should.

MIKE Holt
530-277-5366
( California )

And Bill
What's up? Glad to help!

J Dot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member