Won't pass magnet calibration please help!

Reaction score
Still haven't got my phantom off the ground yet arrived today! Now I'm stuck at magnet calibration. I'm following the procedure exactly. After the first spin, the light turns solid green. However after the second spin, each time it just goes back to red and yellow alternating blinks. Any ideas?

Here are my magnet values

IMG_2636.jpg

I'm running 4.0 that's what my dealer has installed for me when shipped.

Actually, I'm not sure I have a magnet problem!! Because it's not really alternating red and yellow, it's doing two yellow and then three red. What is that? I've read that manual but doesn't mention that!

yalag said:
Actually, I'm not sure I have a magnet problem!! Because it's not really alternating red and yellow, it's doing two yellow and then three red. What is that? I've read that manual but doesn't mention that!

What position is your right hand mode switch in? If it's in the middle (ATTI) I think that's two yellow, and the three reds woudl be poor GPS. Are you doing this inside, or with your hand on the top of the Phantom?

mroberts said:
yalag said:

What position is your right hand mode switch in? If it's in the middle (ATTI) I think that's two yellow, and the three reds woudl be poor GPS. Are you doing this inside, or with your hand on the top of the Phantom?

You are right. Eventually it got to just one red. But that one red won't go away. I'm completely outdoor I don't see why my gps would be bad. I'm suppose to not fly until there's no red right? How do I fix this?

How long are you waiting for the red to go away? Sometimes it can take several minutes to get a green and you need a full view of the sky.

rilot said:
How long are you waiting for the red to go away? Sometimes it can take several minutes to get a green and you need a full view of the sky.

I waited around 10 minutes. It got down to 1 red. I have clear view of the sky, but with some high rise around me.

yalag said:
rilot said:

I waited around 10 minutes. It got down to 1 red. I have clear view of the sky, but with some high rise around me.

That would be the problem - you need a big area of sky since most satellites wont be directly above, btu will be coming from lower elevations. how much of the horizon can you see?

You may be out of luck with your chosen flying location.

mroberts said:
yalag said:
rilot said:

That would be the problem - you need a big area of sky since most satellites wont be directly above, btu will be coming from lower elevations. how much of the horizon can you see?

You may be out of luck with your chosen flying location.

But according to the manual I can fly with no red or one red. Is that true? I guess I was ready to go without even knowing it :(

Also, suppose the GPS is really bad, it will automatically revert from GPS to Attl mode right? What is the difference anyway?

You can fly it with no satellites at all if you want but it won't hold position. By the sounds of things this is your first quad or your first flying RC thing. If so, don't fly without GPS until you are completely happy with how the craft flies and behaves or you will find yourself in trouble very quickly.

GPS mode holds position with your hands off the sticks. It will hold altitude using the barometer and the GPS data. When you move the sticks to change position then let go of them, it will stop and maintain position.
ATTI mode keeps the Phantom level but doesn't use GPS to keep position. It will hold altitude using the barometer. If you move the sticks to change position and then let go of them, it will carry on in the direction it was moving in. You will have to apply opposite stick to counter it and stop.
Manual mode is just that. No stabilisation at all. The Phantom will fly like a proper helicopter.

Not too long ago I was totally new to quads and RC flying . The phantom was my first experience. I am now comfortable flying in ATTI mode but would not have been initially. Perhaps you could find a big open field with lots of sky and learn a bit using GPS mode before you try ATTI ?

mintakax said:
Not too long ago I was totally new to quads and RC flying . The phantom was my first experience. I am now comfortable flying in ATTI mode but would not have been initially. Perhaps you could find a big open field with lots of sky and learn a bit using GPS mode before you try ATTI ?

Thanks I will try that. But how do I know if GPS attl is available. If it's blinks green but with one red. Is that ok?

One red means <6 satellites but >5. It will fly like that but accuracy will be limited.

You would be best finding an open area and flying with all green flashes until you are comfortable with the Phantom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues