Wont fly out more than 150 mtrs

Reaction score
I bought a phantom 3 standard with the intention of using it to fly over cropping paddocks and check stock.
I live on a farm in NSW Australia and have no restrictions with neighbors or buildings, only the odd tree.
My drone will not fly out further than 150 mtrs before losing the signal and going into return home mode?
I am very frustrated with the situation since the specs say it will travel out to 1000 mtrs.
The beginners mode button is switched off and all other calibrations are up to date.
Can anyone help me??

It will fly out to 1000 mtrs if conditions are ideal ( 1600 mtrs was normal for me). My experience with the PS3 was all technique in ensuring you were aiming at the drone with your antenna parallel with the legs of the drone ( unless you are flying directly overhead in which case the antenna needed to be parallel with the ground). Height is important, so if you are seeing a drop in the signal, gradually take it up higher until the signal improves. Also check your distance in the app, switch off 'enable maximum distance' to fly to the limit of your signal. You could also try a windsurfer to boost your signal at very low cost.

I bought a phantom 3 standard with the intention of using it to fly over cropping paddocks and check stock.
I live on a farm in NSW Australia and have no restrictions with neighbors or buildings, only the odd tree.
My drone will not fly out further than 150 mtrs before losing the signal and going into return home mode?
I am very frustrated with the situation since the specs say it will travel out to 1000 mtrs.
The beginners mode button is switched off and all other calibrations are up to date.
Can anyone help me??
150M is not normal under the conditions you describe. Without any mods my P3S was getting 700+ meters inside a park with trees. With a windsurfer I was getting 1200+ meters before I brought it back.
What version is your Firmware?? I know that v1.6.n was a problem for many. V1.5.n and V1.7.n seemed good but I have not heard good things about the latest version v1.8.n

If as you say your area is open without interference and you have either v1.5 or v1.7 installed I say you have a HW problem. Try another area and if the results are the same, return the drone for another one.

Thank you for your suggestions
The firmware version is 1.8.10 updated recently.
I have tried flying with the different positions, but no good ! tried a windsurfer , but no difference.
When flying this morning the distance varied between 30 m out to 110 m, height it didn't seem to want to go higher than 35 m before losing signal and going into return home mode.
will take it back to the shop when in town next week but it is only an electronic supply type store (TV computers etc)

Welcome to the Forum!

First impression, its bad unit, if you get a replacement, fly-it, test it before you update it. If you are in clean air they do what is on the box.

In then I found this:
constant beeping after failed firmware upgrade

Hum, What I really was going to do was point you to somebody else that also makes fun of my last name "Paddock"
He also, was originally going to do something that is similar.

But he also had problems with signal of P3S, same as I.

Terrible signal performance

I gave up looking for his thread of him trying to do a automated flight, so if not a rival, he may share..

Paging
@The Springs
Post I link of your year old project. :rolleyes:

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj