won a Phantom 2, should i build it out or sell and get phantom 3?

Reaction score
i have been wanting one of these for awhile and really like all the new features of the phantom 3. randomly i won a phantom 2. in my mind, its missing several hundreds of dollars of add ons. should i sell the phantom 2 and use that money to get me closer to a phantom 3 or should i buy a go pro and a gimbal to get it to a place where i can fly it with live footage on a mobile device.

Most recommendations I have seen state that you shouldn't use the Wi-Fi option of a GoPro to view live footage on an iPhone as it transmits on the same frequency that the P2 operates on and it could cause interference problems.

Lucky!
Buying a Zenmuse gimbal, fpv kit and a gopro hero 4 black is going to cost you almost as much as a P3A.
If you go for a generic cheap gimbal, a Xiaomi Yi action cam, boscam fpv you will get change from $250US.
Selling the P2 will get you a third of the way to the P3

Personally I think I would go down the second option...

second option then would be?

to me, its not worth flying it if i can't see what i am doing. i have been meaning to get a go pro anyway for other things (i do a lot of 4x4 jeep stuff). so the cost of the gopro is negligible because i can use it for other things. so there is no way to run each device in a separate channel in the 2.4 ghz spectrum and not have them interfere?

I fly a P2 and prefer the Fatshark goggles Attitude V2. I have a difficult time seeing a tablet in direct sunshine and it is one more thing to hold while flying. When I fly, most times I don't have a spotter and I live in the mountains with many trees around. Rarely ever have a chance to fly line-of-sight. The goggles have one problem at 5.8 Ghz, the trees interfere with the signal. But in general, I much prefer goggles!

goggles are not a bad idea but i would like to be aware of my actual surroundings while flying. but i agree that is a great way to do it.

i am still torn, will make up my mind at some point today.

second option then would be?

to me, its not worth flying it if i can't see what i am doing. i have been meaning to get a go pro anyway for other things (i do a lot of 4x4 jeep stuff). so the cost of the gopro is negligible because i can use it for other things. so there is no way to run each device in a separate channel in the 2.4 ghz spectrum and not have them interfere?

The gopro 2.4 ghz will interfere with the phantom control signal and the range is very poor, only 30 feet or so. You would need to add a 5.8 ghz fpv kit, not expensive though.

Yes, after owning a Phantom 2 for 3 months now, I would sell the Phantom 2 and use those funds to get s Phsntom 3 Professional version. It already has the capabilities I want my P2 to do at a cheaper cost. The P3 already has the Light Bridge technology built into it, has a much better camera than my P2's GoPro Hero 3, and so on..... Just my opinion and what I'll probably do. But I'll keep my Modified P2 setup just to keep tinkering with it.....because it kind of fun & I like doing that kinda stuff.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub