Woe is me!

Reaction score
Joined the forum just yesterday. My name is Bill, and I just started flying quads as a result of my wife giving me a toy quad(WL Toys) as a joke. Guess what? I loved it. Practiced daily with several toy quads for over a month,, and decided I needed the real McCoy. After extensive research, decided on the DJI P3 Pro, an awesome device. I started flying immediately, and quite frankly, I was terrified at the prospect of my $900 device flying away or crashing, but I actually did well until my 1st flight into a very tall pine tree, and got stuck there at about 60'. What else to do but attempt to free it using the throttle, and it worked, but due to my inexperience, it fell to the ground. Fortunately, the only damage was 2 broken prop guards, and 2 props. Easy fix, and flew great. Second crash, caught a vine flying too close to a tree, fell only 8' broke 2 prop guards, one prop, and horrors, the roll gimbal ring. Anxious to get flying again, and dreading sending in for repair, I bought a new gimbal/camera, about 1/2 the cost of the quad, installed it easily but it all went downhill from there. IMU error, tried calibrating the IMU, but only progressed 1% and returned an error message. After 20 hours of trying everything, and a totally useless communication with DJI service and promise of 6-10 weeks repair time minimum, I gave up and sent quad to Drone Nerds. Diagnosed with a bad motherboard, had to be replaced, and at this point, I will have spent a lost the cost of the quad. But guess what? I don't care at this point. No I am not rich nor have money to throw away, but I want my quad back, have learned my lesson(stupid mistakes), and plan to be much more careful in the future. Good Flying folks.

happy flying just fly higher and watch out for trees

Another tip, because I learned the hard way, use your own eyes if you can opposed to the Go App when in tight areas.

The very small delay may cause you to think you're further away.

Objects on the Go App screen are closer than they appear. [emoji51]

And I thought of myself as an experienced pilot:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl