Wobbles out of control?

Reaction score
Had about three flights in no problem on the fourth didn't seem to be handling right heading for a tree so I took it up high lost sight set controller down after a few minutes I heard it up high hovering,so I started bringing it down with controller and it seemed to loose power began falling just before it hit trees it powered up then went dead again.After retrieving it I found that one motor seem like it had a lot of resistience so I replaced the motor now it will lift off start wobbling and crash.Any help much appreciated ..

Bugzy said:
Had about three flights in no problem on the fourth didn't seem to be handling right heading for a tree so I took it up high lost sight set controller down after a few minutes I heard it up high hovering,so I started bringing it down with controller and it seemed to loose power began falling just before it hit trees it powered up then went dead again.After retrieving it I found that one motor seem like it had a lot of resistience so I replaced the motor now it will lift off start wobbling and crash.Any help much appreciated ..

Check the prop rotation on all of your props.

Is the motor you changed over rotating in the correct direction? check rotation arrow on the frame and your motor should be spinning to match this rotation. Also make sure your top shell is on the correct way as being 90 degrees off will mean you put all your props on backwards.

Thanks for the input after I posted got to digging in old forums found the answer had gotten switched under tools to a different 4 rotor set switched back and it was stable did have some drift gonna replace props.

Thanks

Me too. I just recieved my first quad this week. ( I have flown 4 ch. helis. no problem and 4 channel planes.)

I have the new Phantom 2 for GoPro. I have it set up with the Zenmuse gimbal and the Gaui GV100 viewing system. But I was flying with it disconnected, I want to practice first. I have the wire disconnected too.

I have only one battery right now, and 2 more on the way. So I have only done 2 flights so far, using the battery twice.

The first flight , everything went great, I flew it all around the field at the local college where they have a perfect field with tall cut grass, so it is really soft. I even tested the return to home feature. It worked flawlessly, although it descended very slowwwww.
It took forever, but it worked fine.

But today on my second flight, I had 3 crashes. The PH2 went into a 'Death Wobble' as I brought it into a descent. It looked like it was going to stabilize. I have seen it start to wobble before then quickly stabilize and recover.
Not this time.
It happened to me three times today near the end of my flight. I still had one and a half green bars on the battery indicator.
Good thing I was practicing on a field with plush grass.
No damage that I can see.

Any suggestions? -Thanks

Were you descending straight down? If so it could be vortex ring state, or settling with power - basically killing the lift in the rotors by flying down into your own prop wash. When descending always either move laterally as well, or use a bit of yaw and aileron to fly in descending spirals. There's a reason why it comes down good and slow during a return-to-home...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring_state

I've played a good bit with mine and it will become unstable if you are descending straight into your own prop wash. I can descend quite quickly and with good stability if I combine it with a modest bit of horizontal movement.

The Phantom is much more sensitive to this than any of my SR helicopters are.

Well maybe it is the Rotor Wash effect, but I am starting to think otherwise.
The thing is I flew it perfectly the day before all over the place, full speed, I tried the return to home feature, no problem.

Then the next day, I flew it fine, doing figure eights and square patterns at all kinds of altitudes, I took it up as high as I could. Brought it down, no problem.

I would corner rapidly when flying square patterns, it would wobble a little on the hard corners, but Quickly recover.

then I descended like I was before and all of a sudden it went into the Wobble, at 20' and came down kind of fast into the grass.
Then I flew it again, and the 1st batt. warning light sequence started,(I still had 1-1/2 green bars on batt. indicator)

So I brought it in, it was not very high,-30' or so, and it went into the Wobble, as I got to about 15' off the ground.
,,,,I tested it again, and it did it again.
So now I am afraid to fly it until I do a full reset and re-calibration of the firmware.
Sure Rotor Wash is a concern, but the way I was consistently getting wobble when the day before I had none makes me suspicious.
And I was doing straight down vertical descents the day before, without these problems.

Weather conditions where the same as the day before when I had good flights.
I need to reboot the firmware.
I have a Mac computer, so I am waiting for DJI do come out with the firmware. At this date they have started the process, like they do have the 'Download Assistant', but there are no firmware files in DMG format (Mac readable files) yet.
They say on that they are working on it and should release the Mac compatible files anytime soon here in January 2014.
I have been looking for someone with a PC I can borrow so I can do it now.
I might just get a cheap used PC just for instances like this. (most of the firmware for multirotors are only PC compatible) at least right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic