Wobble in Video Due to Vibrations

Reaction score
I'm having issues with my set up and I cannot seem to resolve them.

See here: https://vimeo.com/102629842 Pass: wobble

As you can see in the video the video there's a lot of wobble, especially when the drone is standing still.
It's intermittent, it doesn't happen the entire flight, but it happens enough that it's a problem.

This is the Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse HD-3D, Stock Blades

I've replaced the entire shell of the aircraft, the motors, damper pads, blades and tried a brand new gimbal. Nothing solves the problem.
Any ideas?

Has it been crashed?

Permission denied for the the video?

Sorry my bad.
password is: wobble

I have tried 3 new sets of DJI brand blades from DJI.

oh wow.

from the video, that would seem like a gimbal issue since the 3-axis should prevent that.

However, how does the phantom look during the flight? Is it a massive looking wobble? Or do you not even notice it from your viewpoint?

dragonash said:
oh wow.

from the video, that would seem like a gimbal issue since the 3-axis should prevent that.

However, how does the phantom look during the flight? Is it a massive looking wobble? Or do you not even notice it from your viewpoint?

Phantom looks totally fine; but I can see the vibration in the gimbal itself.

I found prop matching ( as part from balancing) makes a difference. Stock DJI props are fairly consistently balanced (mostly) so here is what I do.
1. Download a vibration app for your smart phone, Apple or Android - I'm using Android.
2. If you have several props first fit each blacktop in turn and touch the corner of your phone to the underside of the motor while running the app and note the mean or average vibration figure.
3.When you have done this for all your blacktops you will notice the the figures you have noted will vary per prop/motor.
4. Put a mark on the prop and matching mark on the arm for your lowest vibration values and always fit that prop to that motor.
5.Do this for each prop and each motor moving onto the whitetops.

My vibration values varied from 1.2 to 2.2. Simple matching the right prop to the right motor significantly reduced vibration. What might give a high vibration on one motor quite often when moved to another motor then gave a lower vibration mean.

I am using a 5.4mm lens which is twice the focal length of the stock lens and showed vibration more than the wide angle one. Hence my journey to read up on how to minimise it.

I also use a Polarising filter and/or a variable ND filter to reduce jello on bright days.

Some folks have also used the soft ear plugs stuffed into the dampening balls - I have not had the need to try this yet.

Hope this helps..

EDIT: I meant to say just have motor being tested with the prop ticking over while you taking the vibration reading. Take the reading over 30sec or so to get a good average.

IrishSights said:
I found prop matching ( as part from balancing) makes a difference. Stock DJI props are fairly consistently balanced (mostly) so here is what I do.
1. Download a vibration app for your smart phone, Apple or Android - I'm using Android.
2. If you have several props first fit each blacktop in turn and touch the corner of your phone to the underside of the motor while running the app and note the mean or average vibration figure.
3.When you have done this for all your blacktops you will notice the the figures you have noted will vary per prop/motor.
4. Put a mark on the prop and matching mark on the arm for your lowest vibration values and always fit that prop to that motor.
5.Do this for each prop and each motor moving onto the whitetops.

My vibration values varied from 1.2 to 2.2. Simple matching the right prop to the right motor significantly reduced vibration. What might give a high vibration on one motor quite often when moved to another motor then gave a lower vibration mean.

I am using a 5.4mm lens which is twice the focal length of the stock lens and showed vibration more than the wide angle one. Hence my journey to read up on how to minimise it.

I also use a Polarising filter and/or a variable ND filter to reduce jello on bright days.

Some folks have also used the soft ear plugs stuffed into the dampening balls - I have not had the need to try this yet.

Hope this helps..

EDIT: I meant to say just have motor being tested with the prop ticking over while you taking the vibration reading. Take the reading over 30sec or so to get a good average.

Hey Buddy,
Thanks for the suggestions.

I finally was able to try this, interesting experiment to go through.
Unfortunately it didn't resolve my problem. The proper I had on there were all in the range or 1.9 to 2.1 exactly over a minute test each.
I did try some older ones that gave me results that varied; but interestingly enough the ones I had on there were the ones.

I did some more flying and uploaded some more evidence: http://vimeo.com/102678813 (pass: wobble)

What's interesting is that when I'm flying fast the shake is there but very minimal; vs. I'm flying slow or hovering and it gets very bad.

There's a ghost in this machine dammit!

I actually have a ragecams gopro as well; with that same lens you're speaking of. I haven't even had a chance to try it yet because I want to solve this issue first :(

On Vacation said:
What gopro video settings are you using when recording?
Here is link to a site about aerial videography, if you don't feel like reading all of it skip to the heading "GoPro video settings" .
http://www.adobe.com/inspire/2014/02/gopro-video.html

Ahhh huh?
That video was shot at 2.7k in protune RAW on Wide. That shouldn't matter though.
It doesn't matter what I set the gopro too, I can still physically see, with my own eyes, the gimbal vibrating.

heycadet said:
I'm having issues with my set up and I cannot seem to resolve them.

See here: https://vimeo.com/102629842 Pass: wobble

As you can see in the video the video there's a lot of wobble, especially when the drone is standing still.
It's intermittent, it doesn't happen the entire flight, but it happens enough that it's a problem.

This is the Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse HD-3D, Stock Blades

I've replaced the entire shell of the aircraft, the motors, damper pads, blades and tried a brand new gimbal. Nothing solves the problem.
Any ideas?

I was having gimbal issues until I did an advanced calibration of my phantom 2 in the DJI software. Did you try this?

heycadet said:
...The proper I had on there were all in the range or 1.9 to 2.1 exactly over a minute test each.
I did try some older ones that gave me results that varied; but interestingly enough the ones I had on there were the ones...
Those ranges are higher than any of my final matched combination. Mines 1.2 to 1.4 optimum. Have you tried different rubbers and the ear plugs? My device im on at the minute wont let me play you test video. My problem :) also if have not already done it check that the gimbal plate screws are tight.

Just had another minor thought. Just check that the vertical axis gimbel motor is not touching the underside of the battery or the edge of the hole in the shell where it goes. Just a slim one!

I have the same problem on my Phantom 2 with H33D. What should I do if my gimbal does seem to be touching the battery? Does anyone have a quick fix that doesn't involve ordering a special plate?

Mizzmeister said:
I have the same problem on my Phantom 2 with H33D. What should I do if my gimbal does seem to be touching the battery? Does anyone have a quick fix that doesn't involve ordering a special plate?

There's really no reason it should be touching unless your anti-vibration hangers are being squished or your gimbal is somehow bent?

If you really need the extra clearance, put something between the gimbal mounting plate and the P2 itself, effectively lifting the gimbal off of the P2. You could use some washers even...

Mizzmeister said:
Use some sort if spacers like washers that was suggested but thin ones as the screws that come with the gimbal to attach to the body have limited thread length. I used 2 layers of a plastic material and tested that the threads have a reasonable length to hold it in tightly. Some folks have used longer screws, I didn't need to.

Mine was the older P2 where I had to ream out a hole big enough for the vertical axis with room to spare to take up any movement.

You should also check the tightness of the screws holding the gimbal on as part of a planned maintenance schedule. As the thread length is shorter they can work loose with all the vibrations.

If you are using cable ties instead of the drop pins make sure they are not too tight.

This might sound petty but some times if you play back your video it can seem jerky when in fact its the computer that's slow. There is also a difference depending on what player you use. Try different ones to see if the smoothness improves...it may not be the Phantom hardware at all that's making it appear jerky!

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the tips! I'm a videographer and previously owned another Phantom 2 with the H32D gimbal (which I sold to upgrade). I got great footage out of the H32D, and I think I have a decent understanding of Gopro footage.. I would be so happy if that was the problem! At this point I'm worried if I got a bum Phantom. My footage has the same effect as if you were to wobble rotate your head counter-clockwise like a lopsided wagon. The copter seems to fly fine, and the problem isn't in the gimbal when stationary or being hand held (without motors blazing). It seems to be a whole-unit wobble. I've got 2 hours to try some fixes and then if not, looks like the Phantom doesn't get to come to Argentina with me :(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic