"Wizard" Equivalent for Phantom 4?

Never even tried it that I can remember but I 100% believe that based on ground experiences without even trying it in the boat, but I may tomorrow just for fun. I'd bet a stupid amount of money you're right though.
Give it a go and see what you get. I've tried on center consoles and jetskis with the same result. Slow trolling is fine but as soon as you start to throw some water it loses its mind

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Magic leach as is the main litchi app is available for IOS, anyone had any experience with P4?

I taught him to wakeboard and he became somewhat of a star. It was around that time. That's why I asked.

We were Team O'Brien and O'Neil (and Team Overton and Nautiqie, of course).

I always skied with my best friend, Robbie, and we went hard for almost 15 years. We sort of did the same thing.nwhen we walked away for careers and family, we walked completely away. Our daughters are 11 now and they love it so we started doing a little family stuff a few years ago now and still go now about every weekend again. I pulled 6 balls at 32 off a few weeks ago and from hearing me talk, you would think I had walked on the moon. LOL In my other life, we were a lot better than that.

When we were skiing, wake boarding was still very much a fun thing but the competitive stuff started heavy right after us. We were water skiers. We were constantly tryin to figure out how to minimize the wake! LOL

Give it a go and see what you get. I've tried on center consoles and jetskis with the same result. Slow trolling is fine but as soon as you start to throw some water it loses its mind

I 'magine.

Hundreds of Litchi threads here and in the P3 forums. I use Litchi, but only for autonomous missions and pre-planned autonomous flight/shoots.

This is a good review of both crafts.

You're not ruffling my feathers at all. I appreciate the candor. Here's the scenario:

I will be using the drone to film footage of wakeboarding (among other things), as such, I'd like to be able to have only the Wizard (or equivalent) out in the boat (in its waterproof bag). Rather than trying to manually fly the drone back into the boat after a set, I was attracted to the ability to set the Wizard on the sun deck and trigger Dynamic RTH, bringing the drone back to the sun deck, no controller input required.

Pipe dream?

Chris
Sounds like you want one of those lilly's

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
The TH wand is limiting. You cannot have a wand and the ST controller controlling the craft at the same time, so you cannot control all of the camera settings, not to mention you won't be seeing the display to insure what you want to capture. With P4, if you really want a follow me capbility, Auto Pilot has airspace, it follows a cellphone, which you can bag with one of those waterproof cellphone bags for river rafting. That will follow your boat, but you have the option to control the camera pitch and yaw also, if you want.

I follow skiers and wakeboarders all the time from shore, I did it just last week. The boat was about a mile away on a lake and I'm capturing him from in front flying backwards..... and from behind the skier flying forwards...... and from the side flying sideways... not a problem.

I don't agree with the notion that flying backwards to capture is a problem, I do it ALL THE TIME over water and it's very simple, it's logical and easy to do, anyway for me it is.

With the TH (or Inspire), getting my head around flying forward and looking backward, and then turning the craft in the right direction when the boat goes another direction seems way more difficult to cope with. Flying forwards you're thinking forwards, but while you're doing that you're looking backwards, thinking backwards.

BTW, if you have never flown backwards to capture skiers, the secret is to minimize using the left stick yaw for turning, in order to stay in front of your subject. Use the right stick for that, using the left-right movements to keep aligned for your shots while flying backwards. It's much easier to keep the camera targeted. Once you realize the trick to this during backwards flight, it's easy, and it becomes easier every time.

When I flew a friends Inspire it seemed way harder than my Phantom to keep the camera on target unless you have a second person controlling the camera. I think that's why they always have a second person controller option with a 360 rotating camera, it's difficult to think both ways at the same time. Flying backwards you only have to think one way..... and that's backwards, that's easy for me to understand.

FYI, I prefer shooting water skiers from shore. If you have never shot video from a boat, you're in for a learning curve. It's better to capture from shore if your situation allows it because it's easier to concentrate to get the exact shot I want, without all the noise and jostling around in the boat. Its also quicker and more convenient to fly back to shore to change out a battery, versus stopping the boat to hand catch the craft, disrupting the skiers fun if he wants to keep skiing.

Last edited:
FYI, I prefer shooting water skiers from shore. If you have never shot video from a boat, you're in for a learning curve. It's better to capture from shore if your situation allows it because it's easier to concentrate to get the exact shot I want, without all the noise and jostling around in the boat. Its also quicker and more convenient to fly back to shore to change out a battery, versus stopping the boat to hand catch the craft, disrupting the skiers fun if he wants to keep skiing.

I won't argue the rest of the post as I've said my piece, but I will say that I agree wholeheartedly with the statement above, especially when the ski area is small and limiting. In other words, on most ski lakes, this is certainly the best option.

However, there are times when the perspective of the boat really helps with depth perception and proximity to the skier. When we do it, it's usually Robbie or Donna (my wife) in the driver's seat and me in the passenger (rear facing) and everybody else except the skier(s) are taking a stent on the docks. In other words, what is in the boat are ALL "seasoned veterans." This ain't their first rodeo and this ain't their first time in a ski boat. ;) That matters too. You know how people get when they go with you. 'Nuf said.

It's also much safer filming from shore. If there's an emergency on the water, it's all hands on deck in our boat, so the craft/multi takes a back seat. Bad situation to be in if you want to save your multi and the person in the water too. Thank God we've never had that to occur, but it's a possibility that's always in the back of our minds. The multi goes into a hover and then in the drink if the battery dies. The skier comes first (of course). No thinking involved.

It's also worthy to note that the boat driver needs to be acutely aware of the multi and its presence too. We tend to turn around quick, generally getting back to a skier in under 15-20 seconds. Habit from the old competition days, and a safety thing too. There's a lot of crap going on in the boat and with the quad when turning and returning to a skier that fast, and while the boat driver's primary concern is the skier down in the water, they certainly have to be acutely aware of the craft nearby too. As soon as somebody falls, it's a good idea to get the multi on up 40-50' (at least) whenever practical, especially if there's no need to continue shooting.

I'll also add that I keep one of these on all my quads anytime I'm over water. It may not be worth a crap, but it gives me some confidence and peace of mind, especially when flying my really expensive stuff. Buy one and Velcro it to your landing gear and hope you never need it,

https://www.amazon.com/GetterBack-Recovery-System-Velcro-Yellow/dp/B00GIYIU8Q

I am a spaz when flying my P4 facing me and the action cause I constantly get left and right backwards and get jerky corrections, but I know you can change the sticks output configuration, so left and right can be reversed as with forward/reverse, I might try this.

I am a spaz when flying my P4 facing me and the action cause I constantly get left and right backwards and get jerky corrections, but I know you can change the sticks output configuration, so left and right can be reversed as with forward/reverse, I might try this.

Learn to fly it the right way on land first. You'll be glad you did.

Watch Sullivan's lighthouse on Vimeo, by vVertigo, I had to use Litchi most of time, but going down the beach had a close call with a women talking on a cell phone walking right into the drones path and cut it out before her reaction almost collision, (my bad) but being a spaz I almost put in opposite correction and made it worse. So your right, practice all you can for the flying, and then work in manipulating controls along with framing/pointing of the camera. It's definitely multitasking.

The wizard is a bit of a gimmick at this point but that may change with future firmware updates. The RTH minimum altitude is not user configurable on the H.

Which should totally eliminate this model from anyone's consideration. Myself I can not image anyone buying this model for that reason alone and this is only one of the limitations of the H. Enjoy, donnie

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl