Wish the System Had a 'Learning' switch.

Reaction score
I am a newbie with the Phantom but not to RC aircraft. Fixed wing RC Aircraft are simple to fly compared to a heli or multi copter like the Phantom. Something that would help a lot of us newer folks, I think, would be for DJI to have a fully functional 'learning' switch that would allow the controller to work as if you actually had the drone in the air. All the intelligent flight modes don't work unless you have the aircraft in the air. If it's your first time trying that mode the various options and inputs are at least unfamiliar and trying to sort them out when in the air is a poor way to learn a bunch of never before seen options, Thank goodness this thing stays where you left it, if you don't touch the controls, until you learn how to do the various inputs. The first time I used RTH was when I was in one of the intelligent flight modes for the first time and couldn't find the "X" to close the page. I had 18% battery left and it was relatively close to me but it still created a pucker factor.

As a long time fixed wing and heli flyer I disagree. Fixed wing takes a bit of time to learn, helis take a huge amount of learning (and cost due to fequent crashes). The Phantom is ridiculously easy to fly. If you do get confused let go of the sticks, it'll hover in place until you're ready to go again.

But, to answer your concern, the Phantom does have exactly that - the simulator. It may not be as whizzy and pretty as Realflight or Phoenix sims, but it covers the multiple flight modes reasonably well, and it's free as part of DJI Go.

I think you are wanting something like a "Buddy Box" system like in traditional RC airplanes and helis, essentially that is what coach mode is:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think I mentioned letting go of the sticks so the Phantom can hover. In contrast, a fixed wing continues at the speed and direction it was pointed when you lost orientation. People flying regular fixed wing RC suggest when learning that you fly 3 crashes high. (That's so you have 3xs the amount of altitude to recover.) Unless you are pouring the coal to the phantom it's not near the speed as most fixed wing. You are right on with the helis. I couldn't even control them in Real Flight Simulator.
I didn't think the Intelligent modes worked in the Phantom simulator. It was, I thought, to learn forward, backward, etc.
If you could do all the intelligent flight modes in the Phantom simulator that would be great. Gonna go try it now!

3 crashes high - saved me a few times (and sometimes not!).
The flight modes work in sim on P3 range, wasn't aware they didn't work on P4, if so that's a bit of a pain.

Have you tried with your simulated Phantom up in the air?
The intelligent modes don't work from the ground.
Launch and get up 10+ metres and try them.
That makes sense. I will have to give that a try. I believe the message was that they werent available in the simulator. But in a few minutes I will fire it up and try. took the ol gal out for her maiden voyage today. It was super windy, but she took it like a champ. I am going to have to look up some videos on youtube to learn the ins and outs of the intelligent flight modes

Checked out the intelligent flight modes on P4P with beginner mode enabled. Tried to do an intelligent flight mode and it indicated the "aircraft not in the air, Retry?" I continue to think one cannot explore those modes other than from others on You Tube or with the aircraft in the air. Learning a flight mode while flying, rather than on the ground, no props and everything connected, is not the best way to do it. Obviously others have done it. I just look for the easiest safest way to try new stuff. Crashed to many regular RC aircraft by getting behind what it was doing and didn't have the luxury of letting go of the sticks and watch it just stay there until I got my brain sorted out.

That makes sense. I will have to give that a try. I believe the message was that they werent available in the simulator. But in a few minutes I will fire it up and try. took the ol gal out for her maiden voyage today. It was super windy, but she took it like a champ. I am going to have to look up some videos on youtube to learn the ins and outs of the intelligent flight modes
some modes work in the simulator and some dont, no matter what your altitude is

Having a "few" years of fixed wing and rotor-craft experience I also disagree with the exception of orientation. With most other R/C aircraft we have a very clearly defined front and rear and can tell orientation fairly easily until it gets WAY out there. With our MR's symmetrical body you can't rely on the same visual cues as you can with other "conventional" aircraft.

With the addition of Gyro stabilization and GPS guidance I really find it hard to really say we are FLYING the aircraft. All we are doing is interrupting a stabilized hover to get the AC to another location. You can fly as slow/fast as you want and if anything goes wrong (lost visual, disoriented etc) you simply relax the Tx input and the AC comes to a nice steady hover that will stay that way until you do something different or the battery runs low. That luxury we never had with other "non augmented" R/C flight.

Reactions: AyeYo
If you do get confused let go of the sticks, it'll hover in place until you're ready to go again.

Not so in some of the intelligent flight modes. POI will automatically orbit your POI with no user input. Waypoints will also fly the programmed flight with no user input.

Not so in some of the intelligent flight modes. POI will automatically orbit your POI with no user input. Waypoints will also fly the programmed flight with no user input.

Jim Roof
this is not directed at you:

If you're not proficient in basic flying etc then you shouldn't be operating in any advanced modes. You should never EVER fly beyond your skill levels with or without advanced flight modes. THIS is one of the reasons why our hobby/industry is in such a mess. We are trusting the applications to fly the aircraft for us and when something goes wrong we don't have the skillset needed to react and avoid an incident.

In reference to Flight Modes.... your very first emergency action is ALWAYS to drop out of that mode to allow the aircraft to resume a safe, controlled hover. You should always be watching the aircraft and have your finger on the MODE switch for this very reason.

If you're not proficient in basic flying etc then you shouldn't be operating in any advanced modes.

Totally true.

But making a blanket statement that 'all one needs to do is take hands off the controls and it will hover in place' is simply not true. And, the OP WAS asking about learning the various intelligent flight modes... no?

People should state what is true. I was just trying to take a false statement and replace it with a true one.

Reactions: BigAl07
I guess I didn't explain myself clearly enough. When flying regular RC fixed wing aircraft you basically only have 2 sticks to control. You might have another channel for flaps or gear but VLS and operate the 2 sticks is it. You don't have a camera for one. That has many things to control like the gimbal. You don't have to look at the controller to gather info or to change characteristics of the RC controller. Multi tasking for the phantom is significant greater than compared with fixed wing RC. The major benefit to the Phantom is if you let go of the sticks usually you are safe. Things also happen faster in a fixed wing RC. Oh! Phantoms don't usually fly upside down so down is up and vice versa.
Didn't intend to start a debate. One of the main reasons I got the Phantom is for the flying. I am a bit anxious when in the air but don't finish a flight with sweaty hands and an irregular heart beat. I have sold all my RC gear except for a powered, slow glider...the Radian.

Reactions: BigAl07
I guess I didn't explain myself clearly enough. When flying regular RC fixed wing aircraft you basically only have 2 sticks to control. You might have another channel for flaps or gear but VLS and operate the 2 sticks is it. You don't have a camera for one. That has many things to control like the gimbal. You don't have to look at the controller to gather info or to change characteristics of the RC controller. Multi tasking for the phantom is significant greater than compared with fixed wing RC. The major benefit to the Phantom is if you let go of the sticks usually you are safe. Things also happen faster in a fixed wing RC. Oh! Phantoms don't usually fly upside down so down is up and vice versa.
Didn't intend to start a debate. One of the main reasons I got the Phantom is for the flying. I am a bit anxious when in the air but don't finish a flight with sweaty hands and an irregular heart beat. I have sold all my RC gear except for a powered, slow glider...the Radian.

I still love my "planks" and I have the Micro Radian and Radian Pro which I love flying on a nice calm evening to help forget about the busy day I've had. I've still got a couple of stunt planes, racing plane, sea plane, and then my current favorite the GP 60" Cherokee. That planes flies so smooth it makes me look like a pro with greasy smooth landings and rock solid flights in every attitude.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers