Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

wish list for a forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Monte55, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Monte55

I wish people would actually know what they are talking about when they give advise to people needing help. They really need to understand the OPs question. If the Op didn't present it properly, ask again to totally understand the issue. If the answers are just guesses, say so. There are questions I would like to reply to but stay silent because I am not 100% sure. There can only be one correct answer to a particular question but I see so many conflicting answers. I, if not 100 % sure will never answer. I do not want someone to lose their machine because I wanted to get my post count higher.

2. jerrymac12000

Let's start with what you have said. Please define the word OP.

3. paulajayne

OP = Original Poster.

There are many case where there is no definitive answer and until other things are ruled out and final answer cannot be given.

Many times the OP does not give sufficient information and so questions are asked to glean more detail.

4. sergekouper

I don't know what brought you to this but you know what any forum is... you have to separate the right, informed advice from the BS and see for yourself.
    You don't know who is behind a post. Some people believe they are experts in all things, others are clueless, some are here for different reasons than others, some are just reading the OP and not the answers before stating their opinion, be it stupid or redundant.
    Over time you can see the reliable guys popping out, and see who you can trust or not.

5. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

The P2 is an extremely complex platform with many possible points of failure. One of the main objectives of a forum like PP is to obtain many diverse ideas on what may have caused a problem. I have seen a number of problems solved here using that method. Whenever I hear the word "expert" I internally chuckle. I've been in the IT field for decades and I've met a whole bunch of extremely intelligent, knowledgeable, dedicated people. Not one of them would describe themselves as an "expert", and would laugh out loud if called one.

I've learned nearly as much from people asking questions that seemed "stupid" on the surface, as I have from "experts". They sometimes led me down a path I wouldn't normally have gone down and learned something I probably wouldn't have otherwise. "It takes a village" sounds kind of trite... But in this case... It does. :D

Even the village idiot can occasionally shed some light... :)

-slinger

6. sergekouper

It seems that the answer has been given.
    Ask the village idiot, this is what the majority agrees apparently. :roll:

7. paulajayne

Expert

Ex is something that has been and Spurt is a drip under pressure

8. KwadKopter

I love this forum, but personally, I hope all forums switch over to the stackoverflow.com model. It is superior by an order of magnitude.

9. sergekouper

****, I forgot the first degree people... :lol:

10. Happyflyer

Da, village idiot here, what do you want to know? I'm da X-spert! :lol:
    CAT! Get off my lap top!

11. sergekouper

hmm... Is it possible to know what is your problem exactly?

12. sergekouper

What I meant is in the post number 4 of this thread.
    I didn't start these comments about the village idiot, you should ask the one who brought that up in the first place.

13. IflyinWY

So is it the "second degree" people giving the "first degree" people the "third degree"? :lol:

What were we talking about again?

Couldn't resist. :cool:

14. Buckaye

I think most people try to be helpful. I try really hard to convey the confidence level I have in my answers. I also admit when I misinterpreted something. I will say that my experience is that a lot of people leave out details when they post a question. For example.. There have been several times when it takes to or three responses before the OP says "oh yeah.. I crashed the other day".

I just think that if you're using a forum.. You need to weigh the responses and choose the ones that make the most sense to you :)

15. Fplvert

:D well said Buckaye. I have received some great advice on the forum. Many here are veterans and know through experience and are only trying to help.
    Obviously, the greatest challenge is our understanding of the language, explanation, and experience of those posting. Whether asking a question or giving an opinion we should take these things into consideration. We should strive to be positive! There is great satisfaction in providing helpful insights for those who just don't know, or relating a positive experience with our hobby.
    I like feeding the occasional Troll ( come on, you know who I'm talking about) and moving on to sharing positive experiences.
    Overall , I like the Phantom Pilot's Forum and share your enthusiasm for our sport.
    Fplvert

16. sergekouper

As I said,
    you know what any forum is... you have to separate the right, informed advice from the BS and see for yourself.
    You don't know who is behind a post. Some people believe they are experts in all things, others are clueless, some are here for different reasons than others, some are just reading the OP and not the answers before stating their opinion, be it stupid or redundant.
    Over time you can see the reliable guys popping out, and see who you can trust or not.

17. Buckaye

Dirkclod... Maybe there is a "past" I don't know about and someone is subtly taking shots at you... But having gone back and read this entire thread, I am not sure why you think there is an attack on you? Like I said... Might be some history I'm not aware of... But I have found most of this thread to be general in nature. I'd call myself the village idiot at times and I have been known to make a smarta$$ed comment or two... So it's possible things said here could even refer to me.

For the most part, however, I find that people here are friendly, funny (at times) but mostly helpful. The only things I ever get irritated with is when:

1. Somebody makes a snide comment like "clearly you haven't done any research" - this only bothers me because...it's a pretty big assumption.

2. Somebody pretends they have the ONLY answer to the many holy wars that exist in RC (IE - proper disposal methods of lipos, to calibrate or not to calibrate, political rants)

Other than that... Make a joke.. Debate a point all you want... Sounds like you care what people think, which is a good virtue... Just be conscious about going overboard (as I am sure I have from time to time)

18. Fplvert

:D Wow, dirkclod, I wasn't addressing anyone on this thread. Not sure why you would make that assumption. :roll:

19. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

You don't even come close to resembling a troll... :D Chillax, dewd... :)

-slinger

20. DesertFlyer53

I'll have to respectfully disagree Paula. A Spurt is...

1. To gush or issue suddenly in a stream or jet, as a liquid.
    Or...
    2. To show marked, usually increased, activity or energy for a short period.

:D :D :D