Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Winterizing PhantomV2+

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by goatman, Dec 11, 2014.

1. goatman

Living up here in the North East Its either to cold or to windy to fly... So in the box it goes for 8 weeks...

OK I know the smarty battery will now discharge itself. . But what about the range Wi-Fi extender? is it safe to store it with a 50 % charge like the battery?

How long would you let these batteries sit with out touching them? the smart battery and the range Wi-Fi battery.

There a little pricey and I would want to try to get the most use out of them

Thanks
    Goatman

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

DJI has not mentioned issues with those components. I think the batteries are only an issue because they swell and thus are damaged and rendered useless.

3. Jstic

From what I understand, most lipo batteries should be stored with 50-60% charge.

4. erikgraham

Winter drone videos are beautiful, especially in New England. Why not keep flying?

5. eyecon82

Your quad can handle. Just bring her in at the 50 percent mark though from the cold

6. msinger

Approved Vendor

Your quad can handle it... but, can your fingers? :D

7. lsteigerwalt

Ya man, just keep flying...down south we get cold and Grey....no pretty white stuff to look at very often so my winter videos will look dull lol...

8. goatman

LOL wow thanks for all the comments...Yes I do want to fly but I guess I'm a bit Nervous about the thing flying away on me... and thanks for the battery tip bringing it in at 50%

Thanks
    Goat

9. slothead

I'm curious just what part of the northeast you are referring to. Why just 8 weeks if you are concerned about avoiding the snow and wind? It seems that eight weeks from now will put you in the thick of it! I'd say keep on flying for at least another month (avoiding the worst windy days of course) and consider winterizing in January through February.

10. aartsf

I do not believe the battery of the extender are of the lipo type. Therefore there no needs for any discharging while storing.