Winterizing/Cold flying

Reaction score
ALL MY FELLOW CANADIANS who only fly their drone in the summer/spring time how to you guys cycle your lipos? Do you just charge them and let them sit over the winter or do you drain them then recharge them every so often?, Also What's the coldest temperature you have flown under?, right now in Edmonton it's around - 4 to - 10 degreesC and I'm wondering if that's a bad idea to fly potentially your lipos freeze up and then your drones toast. Let me know!

ALL MY FELLOW CANADIANS who only fly their drone in the summer/spring time how to you guys cycle your lipos? Do you just charge them and let them sit over the winter or do you drain them then recharge them every so often?, Also What's the coldest temperature you have flown under?, right now in Edmonton it's around - 4 to - 10 degreesC and I'm wondering if that's a bad idea to fly potentially your lipos freeze up and then your drones toast. Let me know!

go have fun and fly

have hours in sub 20F temps last Jan-March.

as low as 0F , the issue is fingers more than anything

however props get some what brittle and times are less

Man, if it were sub zero temperatures here where I live, the only thing I would be flying is the simulator. In front of a nice warm fire. With a hot Irish Coffee. With whipped cream.

Reactions: Chris Paul
Man, if it were sub zero temperatures here where I live, the only thing I would be flying is the simulator. In front of a nice warm fire. With a hot Irish Coffee. With whipped cream.
Tell me about it. I hate looking at my drone all nicely and packed away in it's case all I wanna do is fly lol. But I'm scared my 1000.00 drone will freeze mid air and come pummeling into the earth lol

According to dji specifications, it can be operated from 0c to 40c, and the battery from -10c to 40c. But my experience with the phantom 2 is that you can fly in colder weather... I flew my phantom 1.1.1 in -25c weather! It was not fun but it work. Anyway, there is no way that I would stop flying for the winter season. Specifications from Dji: Phantom 3 Standard - Specs, FAQ, manual, video tutorials and DJI GO | DJI

Man, you guys are making me feel bad about being unhappy when the temp dips below 60` F. I actually have to put on an extra shirt sometimes. And I enjoy being able to complain about it. So, I will just ignore the cold you guys endure. You are all dead to me now. lol.

Flying up in North Pole Alaska have flown some at 0F. He's right fingers get pretty cool at those temps. P3 seems to fly well. So far so good. No green grass around till March or so. Going to try some -10F short hops and see how things go. Don't want to fly in temps much colder then that

Flying up in North Pole Alaska have flown some at 0F. He's right fingers get pretty cool at those temps. P3 seems to fly well. So far so good. No green grass around till March or so. Going to try some -10F short hops and see how things go. Don't want to fly in temps much colder then that
Well somebody better fly from up there soon o_O
Asked for a 5K iMac ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj