Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Winter here - warm batteries tip

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dgriffnz, Jul 29, 2016.

1. dgriffnz

Hi, I recently flew around our local hydro electric dam () but the temperature was barely above freezing, it was about 2c.

To ensure my batteries weren't too cold for flight I cooked up some porridge, double bagged it in sealable freezer bags, then put it in a chilly bin under a couple of tea-towels. I then placed my batteries on that and covered them with another tea towel. When I went to use them on site the P 4 reported back that the battery temp was 20c (70f). Perfect.

One other tip is to let the porridge sit in the bin for a few minutes to warm up the inside, then before I put the batteries in I wiped off the resulting condensation from the inside walls.

After the I'd returned home I went to the local duck pond and fed them the porridge...the loved it! I could have eaten it myself, but I think the ducks appreciated it more.

Anyway, the batteries were nice and warm, it was only my fingers that were cold!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

2. farmernz

good to know , and i like porridge. i was thinking about trying some of those gel hand warmers after i went outside the house and took off only to get out 100m and get a warning come up ''dont fly battery too cold". i guess it cooled down in the air on our cold mornings. i love the panning reveal shot down the dam.

3. tcope

How far is the take off spot from your vehicle? Why not keep them warm in your vehicle and then put one under your armpit for a few seconds before using it in the Phantom?

This porridge things sounds complicated. What if the porridge is too cold or too hot? It's a one in three chance that it's just right. Then there are those pesky bears that seem to want it all of the time.

farmernz likes this.
  4. dgriffnz

I'd rather spend $3 making some porridge than run the car and burn $10 of gas. I have just found my wife's wheat bag that goes in the microwave, will try that next time - sorry ducks.

No bears here, only Taniwha!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

5. 185EZ

#5 185EZ, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Trackman1 likes this.