Winter flying

Thanks Erised. You know what cold weather is all about. I live in Maine and snow could fly anytime now.

You should have a look at this DJI Video - Phantom 4 - Winter Wilderness.
Shot in Sacre-Coeur Quebec where temperatures drop to avg -17C (1.4F) in January.

Reactions: scootrkitz
Thanks Erised. You know what cold weather is all about. I live in Maine and snow could fly anytime now.
Too bad Acadia is a national park, I would love to take off from the top of Cadilac mountain or precipice, the views from there are awsome.

If you're going to be flying over bright snowy areas you might need to tweak your photo/video settings to compensate.
On a sunny day in the snow, you're more likely to need neutral density filters if you want to keep your shutter speed out of the range of shutter roll.

I've got a question for someone that flies in the snow. If you do fly when there's snow on the ground it can't get snowing? I thought the P4 couldn't get wet?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've owned P4 for couple of weeks now, and flown it on cold temperatures around 14F (-10c) with no problems @ all. Also have taken off from snow, and the drone won't get wet just from the powder snow that the propellers blast off the ground. At first I actually was pretty afraid of flying below freezing point (paranoid, i know, right?), but now after a few times its soooo much fun :) The only problem is that in Finland, we dont get a lot of daylight during the winter :( so gotta make the best of what we've got :D

Flew yesterday morning for a while @ the local beach / boat harbor and made a short clip with the Splice app. Makes it easy to quick edit videos you cut from the DJI app when you're on the go :)

Ulle, thanks for sharin your experience with the P4 in the cold.
Awesome shot tou got there. Congrats!
Q : when tou take your P4 from inside at 20c +- to the outside at -10c +- do you follow any rules ? I.e wait for the P4 to ajust to the cold? Do you get any lens condensation reaction?
Have ou ever used the P4 at lower temps : -30c to -40
I am in Canada and temps can go down to -30c to -40c in February (rarely but it can happen)

Thanks
JM

Q : when tou take your P4 from inside at 20c +- to the outside at -10c +- do you follow any rules ? I.e wait for the P4 to ajust to the cold? Do you get any lens condensation reaction?
I am in Canada and temps can go down to -30c to -40c in February (rarely but it can happen)

Thanks
JM
I've routinely flown my Phantom 2V+ at 0 degrees Fahrenheit. You have to watch the batteries, but the biggest problem I've had is my hands getting cold. Get gloves the will work with a touch screen.

You won't get condensation going from inside to outside, you'll get it going outside to inside.

Thanks
JM

Well the only rule I follow pretty much: keep the batteries warm before flight, and during flight I keep my eyes on the battery temp + voltage. Yesterday the battery temp was around +30c, so all good :) Also like MacCool said: fingers tend to freeze in the cold, but I usually use these gloves that have the finger tips cut off, dunno the english name for those, maybe tipless gloves? :D They help a lot :)

I haven't used the P4 on lower temps yet, but definitely will give it a try around ~-15c / -20c during January / February. I saw a video online of a dude from Finland flying in -20c, though he only hovered around in small area and 1-2m off the ground for 16min, but still.

I've routinely flown my Phantom 2V+ at 0 degrees Fahrenheit. You have to watch the batteries, but the biggest problem I've had is my hands getting cold. Get gloves the will work with a touch screen.

You won't get condensation going from inside to outside, you'll get it going outside to inside.

Good to know that even 0F works :) I cant wait for the colder weathers and shooting footage at a local ski center.

Nice video Ulle . . thanks for posting . . . helps a lot because I've.been wondering about that myself . . bein as how I live in Canada near the 45th parallel and all . . not very far north compared to you in Finland, but cold just the same. I did find some gloves (fleece with touch screen as a feature on the tag the come with) been practicing in 1-5deg C and they work fine on the touch screen. There is a post here somewhere if you search on "Gloves" I think.

Post more sub-zero experiences please . . thanks

Nice video Ulle . . thanks for posting . . . helps a lot because I've.been wondering about that myself . . bein as how I live in Canada near the 45th parallel and all . . not very far north compared to you in Finland, but cold just the same. I did find some gloves (fleece with touch screen as a feature on the tag the come with) been practicing in 1-5deg C and they work fine on the touch screen. There is a post here somewhere if you search on "Gloves" I think.

I will once it gets colder over here :)

I just realized that the YouTube's "anti shake" action (which it recommends after uploading) made the video actually shake and glitch. Well, I guess I'll be wiser next time to not use it.

Good to know that even 0F works :) I cant wait for the colder weathers and shooting footage at a local ski center.

I flew my P4 at -9c in Norway last week. Did a long run about 3.5km out. Battery comsumption was slightly increased compared to summer times. Other than that, all was good.

I don't know how much density altitude effects the drone. Regular airplanes perform much better in the winter due to the air being more dense. The only issue to worry about is icing. I suppose the key to the drone is keeping the battery warm.

It is good to hear others say that it will work in zero degree weather. That is way colder than anything I will be flying in. I am a wimp when it comes to being cold!

Ofcourse! Using your head goes for pretty much anyting when flying.... (and everyting else for that matter) I live in north of Norway and is very familiar to snow! I wouldn´t put my drone in deep, soft snow, but in most cases (depending on location, ofcourse) you would have thin layers of light snow upon thick frozen masses. in these cases the P4 would have no problem, as it blows everyting away upon take off / landing.

I also live in Norway !:) (Oslo/Akershus):)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj