Winter flying

No issues I live in Canada and flown at well below zero with no issues other than I'm cold lol

Should be OK. I have my new Milwaukee heated jacket and batteries ready to go !

I live in S.Fl so I don't have any experiences :lol: but I have a pamphlet that says this:

"Like most batteries, the temperature of a Li-Po has an impact on its performance. Consider that batteries rely on a chemical reaction in order to provide a current – a low temperature reduces the speed of this reaction and a reduction in overall pack performance may be observed on a cold day. Allowing a Li-Po pack to freeze is certainly not recommended, as this would damage the pack."

I seem to recall seeing limits for the battery and the low temperature one was zero degrees C
In use it would be warm and if taken from a vehicle or house then used quite soon I don't suppose it's an issue.
I guess they are saying it shouldn't be left in the cold for long. Overnight in a vehicle would be bad.

LiPo batteries don't contain water and the polymeric electrolyte doesn't freeze at 0 deg C so the battery won't get damaged because it's below freezing. However the discharge rate gets lower the lower the temperature goes therefore a very cold LiPo might not provide enough output to fly. Just keep the batteries warm before putting them inside the Phantom and they 'll keep warm from the discharge during flight. The lubricant in the bearings of the prop motors or the gimbal servos may get stiff if it is very cold whereof the gimbal servos will be the more sensitive.

Parts will be more brittle - I wouldn't be doing High-G maneuvers, or bumping anyting really hard - and if you have a true crash (assuming you don't just make a hole in the snowbank, things would have more possibility of shattering.

That's my theory at least...

What about the electronics?
Will the chips work flawlessly even at some -20°C?

At least iPhones start to act up in moderately cold temperatures.

Jourei said:
What about the electronics?
Will the chips work flawlessly even at some -20°C?

At least iPhones start to act up in moderately cold temperatures.

Unless you have military specs part used it can act up under -0C.
That goes for any electronic device that hasn't a military spec.
It could work, no guarantee.
The only one that can answer that question is the manufacturer.

ToThePoint said:
The only one that can answer that question is the manufacturer.

Oh well, I "hope" this winter will be cold enough to give some good results!

I flew a F550 all last winter at temps down to -5F with no issues other than cold fingers. Took the unit from a +70 house to below zero Fahrenheit temps and just flew it. Flight times were maybe 10% less if that. My new P2v+ has the same Naza and I plan on flying it this winter.

Just be sure to put mini snow shoes or ski's on your skids! :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20