Windy Day at the Go Cart Track

Cool video and it looks like you were very safe in filming it. I bet there were as many people watching your UAV as were the carts. Did you have to get permission to film it?

Cool video and it looks like you were very safe in filming it. I bet there were as many people watching your UAV as were the carts. Did you have to get permission to film it?

Thank you for the comments.

I definitely had to get permission from the track manager/owner.

Yes, there were definitely a few people watching closely… some very closely. A few came over to ask questions. As UAS operators, we're all under scrutiny, and need to keep that in mind. Just by having a Phantom, some kid is watching us in the same way a kid in the stands is watching a major league baseball player. We need to follow the rules, even when we don't realize someone is watching. As a private pilot, I'm acutely aware of the potential risk to my certificate if I fly inappropriately.

It was a challenge to follow the guidelines; minimize flying over the active track and no flying over the pits (I know I did overfly the track a few times, but each time I tried to be crossing the track fairly fast and not too low so that if there was a problem the aircraft would fall to the side of the track out of the way). It severely limited the visual opportunities, that's for sure! I'd rather follow the rules and be invited back (and gain the respect and appreciation of everyone there) than violate their rules and cast a negative spell on all of us. The rules are reasonable, after all. The comments from the viewers who've seen the video are all positive, so far, which after all is the goal.

When I go back, I'm hoping to be able to get some time with some of the drivers during pre-race time and be allowed to fly very low and over the track to get some more dramatic imagery.

Thanks again,

Bobby

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Feedback welcome.

Thanks!

Bobby

BTW, the wind was so strong that the Phantom 4 was unable to hold position in P mode, right from launch. I had no choice but to fly then entire day in S mode just to be able to hold position. Most of the tracking shots had to be with the wind to keep the props from showing up in the frame.

Great job Bobby, your pans are so fluid for a drone!

Thank you for the comment!

I had to discard most of my shots to get the few I used. I dropped the EXP Rudder setting (Main Controller Settings > Advanced Settings > EXP) to the lowest value (.2) for both Normal and Sport modes to try to keep pans smooth, but the wind was so gusty it was bouncing the drone around constantly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic