Windy Conditions

I'll fly with gusts up to 25 mph....but all maneuvers are done a lot slower than calm conditions. And no mixed maneuvers like spinning while descending etc. just purposeful flying.

It's funny. A hand catch is SO much easier than landing in wind, but it looks so much more impressive to non-pilots. And if you land it upwind with the camera facing you, it can make for a cool video selfie .

On the matter of altitude and distance, I'm no flying expert but I know politics. With the public already very wary, near misses, public anxiety and media ignorance could easily push the FAA (or, heaven forbid, Congress) to make reactive rules and legislation. An actual accident with loss of life would be a cable news field day.

Yes, we all speed in our cars. And, yes, I took my P2V+ up to 400 ft plus a tiny little bit to see how it performed. But this would be a very good time to avoid extreme altitudes. And an even better time for the real experts here to realize that this is an amateur board and many of us don't have professional aviation experience.

With due respect, I would suggest that the fabulous experts avoid just posting brags in open forum about height and distance without explaining the circumstance (or maybe set up a separate Discussion for numbers). The legal situation is not at all clear (just ask any aviation lawyer), and owners need to avoid providing online fuel to opponents by posting evidence and ammunition that could someday come back to bite us.

I follow the basic rule of flight: take off and land facing into the wind. I needed only one down-wind attempt at takeoff to be reminded of and to observe this fundamental law of flight.

Reactions: Steve Moore
Lets keep this on topic (Windy Conditions), in case you forgot.
If you want to comment on other issues please start your own thread.
Carry on.

How, LuvMyTJ, is my suggestion/reminder that facing the drone into the wind on takeoff and landing, not on topic?

I have flown in 35km/h gusts, but normally try not to fly in anything more than 30km/h ground wind speed. This sometimes reveal the props in video depending flight direction. Anything above 20km/h I hand catch on landing.

And it only takes one ******* to make an ignorant statement in response. You have no clue what my background is, where I flew, or what prior prep I took before I made that flight. What other aircraft I fly or what licencing I have, or what insurance I might have. So next time you want to pretend to strut around like youre something special, remember that there is always someone with more of everything you have.. and that someone might just happen to be they guy you are crying about.
Unfortunately Steve, he (Andy) has a point. I'm not a pilot and I'm just as new a UAV operator as you. You're right he doesn't know the steps you took to go to fly 1600 AGL however, I can guarantee you did not contact the FAA for permission because they would not allow that to happen, especially to a beginner UAV operator like myself or you. There is absolutely no business being up that high. Don't ruin this hobby or the future of UAVs for everyone else. Good luck in your future flights and please reconsider before flying at 1600 AGL.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic