Windy Conditions

This type of flying is why the FAA will probable end up banning drones completely. A drone has no business being at 1600' AGL, the only thing at that height should be an airplane with a transponder.

I am a private pilot, I also have several drones,,,when I hear someone make a statement like "I am fairly new and was at 1600 feet " I realize it only takes a few hundred dollars, but no common sense, to buy a drone

And it only takes one ******* to make an ignorant statement in response. You have no clue what my background is, where I flew, or what prior prep I took before I made that flight. What other aircraft I fly or what licencing I have, or what insurance I might have. So next time you want to pretend to strut around like youre something special, remember that there is always someone with more of everything you have.. and that someone might just happen to be they guy you are crying about.

This type of flying is why the FAA will probable end up banning drones completely. A drone has no business being at 1600' AGL, the only thing at that height should be an airplane with a transponder.

I am a private pilot, I also have several drones,,,when I hear someone make a statement like "I am fairly new and was at 1600 feet " I realize it only takes a few hundred dollars, but no common sense, to buy a drone

Please post a link to any statement, document, etc. where this has been mentioned besides from fear-mongers like yourself.

You are spot on Andy. This kind of irresponsible use of an amazing aircraft will be the death of this sport. There was just another near miss in Europe between a drone and an Airbus. The pilots union is calling for prison time for people doing this type of crap. Wake up and use some common sense!!

25kts is max for me which is 29mph. Takeoff works fine but I don't attempt landing, in these conditions, instead I'll do a hand catch from the downwind position.

You mean upwind I would think.

Funny... in another conversation it was fairly globally fought that there is little to no possibility for a Phantom to ever have an opportunity to interfere with commercial aviation. Its being down to being a bunch of people looking for a place to see themselves type, rather than real useful information. Blocking button engaged!

I am not a pilot but I have to agree here, there is absolutely no reason to be flying a drone anywhere near 1600ft…this is just asking for trouble…would you want to be responsible for god forbid taking down a plane? I know I wouldn't…just my opinion! And yes stuff like this WILL cause the FAA to crack down on drones!

And it only takes one ******* to make an ignorant statement in response. You have no clue what my background is, where I flew, or what prior prep I took before I made that flight. What other aircraft I fly or what licencing I have, or what insurance I might have. So next time you want to pretend to strut around like youre something special, remember that there is always someone with more of everything you have.. and that someone might just happen to be they guy you are crying about.
So, what kind of coverage(insurance) do you have?
Does it cover you flying above the altitude governed by the FAA?
What prior experience do you have? What sort of licensing?

The answer to these questions are irrelevant, as none of them exempt you the rules that most responsible operators follow. Regardless of how 'cautious' you think you're being or what preparation you made, you're still creating unnecessary risk for other aircraft that may or may not be in the area. Whether this is or was a risk for the area you were in, rules are rules. I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to stay off of the FAA's radar for this sort of thing.

If you desire to operate at these sort of altitudes, go get a pilot's license and operate the proper aircraft at these altitudes.

Back to the point of the OP.. no matter what altitude I fly at or whom has whatever irrelevant opinion of it, The Phantom is absolutely stable at wind speeds up to and around 20. Video stability is not at all an issue there.

Come on now, you know for sure that every person in this forum drives their cars and trucks well within every limit of every traffic law. I don't even understand why they make cars that go so fast. :D

Being a new P3A owner I am paranoid about flying in breezy conditions as it seems the P3 really struggles against wind gusts.

About what wind speed do you feel comfortable with and how fast a breeze do you decide to pack it up and go home?
I have shot footage in 15 to 20mph-- but it is not fun and with the motors working the flying time is drastically reduced.

You can't approve flying at this height, not only it's not allowed , but yes it could be dangerous in case of collision, probably as rare as winning the jackpot but it may happen. On top the sky is not a free place to play, there are rules like on the roads, let's try to repect them. I wonder what would happen if everybody decided to flight as they wish...
BTW 15/20mph max for me, coming mostly with rain and ugly grey sky, not great for flying.

Reactions: NYRangers99
And you're telling us that your closing shot of the roller coaster video was under 90m height? I'm not trying to pick a fight, just sayin. At least it wasn't super windy (to stay on topic). ;)

Bro. You have me mixed up with another person who posted the roller coaster video, I just responded to the thread. Also it's 120m that we should stay under in North America, not 90m.

my limit is also around 20mph. above that it still works ok but it feels dangerous, with gusts im not even sure the P3 has enough power to keep position

haha You're right. What a bozo. Anyway, no, in Canada it's 90m. Check out Transport Canada here: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-recavi-uav-2265.htm and read near the bottom right.

Yes you're right, Canada is a little more conservative, but realistically speaking it is just a buffer zone. We can fly up to 150m without risking interfering with possible planes and choppers. But flying at 1600 feet or 500 meters is excessive and dangerous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1