Windsurfers....any good?

Reaction score
Finding the range on my P3S, well, a bit crap to be honest, keep getting signal lost in red when I get anywhere near 300m away from me. I never go any higher than 120m so height isn't the problem and I live in a rural area with lots of fields, farm land etc. I've seen Windsurfers for sale for the P3S and I was wondering if any of you are using one of these and if they do improve signal? Thanks in advance...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Finding the range on my P3S, well, a bit crap to be honest, keep getting signal lost in red when I get anywhere near 300m away from me. I never go any higher than 120m so height isn't the problem and I live in a rural area with lots of fields, farm land etc. I've seen Windsurfers for sale for the P3S and I was wondering if any of you are using one of these and if they do improve signal? Thanks in advance...

I have one, maybe helps out a bit (5%). Not that useful.

I have one and love it...I would have a weak signal at around 5k feet....with clear line of sight....now I've gotten over 12k feet with perfect signal...if I had more battery I'd go further....best upgrade for the $.....by far

Windsurfer very good...I have P3s and the range was poor..with this wifi booster I have got out to 1300m.

Windsurfer's are fine antennas. They will increase your apparent signal strength quite a bit.

Cheers for that, have just ordered myself one! Looking forward to trying it out.

I got a question maybe somebody can answer.. Is there any difference between Windsurfers that are sold online, and homemade out of paper/foil/glue etc...
I mean would would anybody buy something when it can be made at home in 5-10 min? Am i missing something here? Does anybody know?

I got a homemade windsurfer, but from what i understand there are 2 types of signal, radio TX to control the drone, and wifi for FPV video..
windsurfer helps with the radio wave signal, but doesn't do anything to boost the wifi signal. and if you wifi cuts out at 300 feet or meters, then you get the weak signal message, and you cant keep flying even if your radio signal is strong.. is this true? sounds like it but does anyone have any first hand experience?

The Windsurfer is a parabolic reflector that, if properly formed, directs the signal captured along its width to your RC antenna. The Windsurfer is much wider & able to capture more signal than your thin RC antenna. This is how it increases range. The shape of the parabola is important in properly directing the signal to your RC antenna.

On a P3 Standard the Windsurfer will only help with your control signal. If you are losing control but still have video/telemetry it can help. If you are losing video/telemetry that you need to choose another option. Regardless, the Windsurfer is an inexpensive & non-invasive means to extend range as it simply slips over your control antenna.

What options are there for losing video feed?

If you are looking for max range then you have to start invasively modding things. I recommend starting simple & moving up until you get to where you want to be. Remember: the BATTERY IS YOUR ULTIMATE LIMITATION. Doesn't matter if your can control the Phantom from 25 miles away if your battery is only good for 8-10 miles. That said...

Step 1: Windsurfer. Its inexpensive, non-invasive, doesn't void warranty. Only good for control on a P3S. <$20

Step 2: One of the RC-side non-amplified kits from DBS or FVPLR. You can send in your controller & have them install the mod so when it comes back you are ready-to-fly without risking blowing the installation on your own. ~$200 installed. These non-amplified systems can work extremely well & is probably all you'll need. Extra time needed before flying installing antenna to RC unless you get a custom case to carry it assembled.

Step 3: Add RC-side amps to Step 2. Two amps on a P3 Standard, 2.4 Ghz for FPV & 5.8 Ghz for control. ~$200-$250 Your controller is now much heavier with antennas, two amps, mounting brackets, & battery to run amps. PITA for a quick flight around the park or around the house. Your friends will be thinking, "WTF?"

Step 4: Add Bird-side antenna upgrade. ~$50-150. Now your sleek & sexy Phantom has all sorts of strange antenna poking out in all directions. Generally have to remove/install before/after flight. Adds some weight/drag, reduces flight times. Bird loses that "schmexy" look.

Step 5: Add bird-side amp. ~$125. Not sure about DBS but FVPLR has a TINY bird-side amp. It is 2.4 Ghz so it only boosts FVP on a P3S. On a Pro or Advanced it would boost the entire Lightbridge signal. Special tray mount for P3. Adds weight, draws additional power.

What options are there for losing video feed?

Diy cd case windsufer signal booster I saw on youtube so I had to make one. I'll test it out as soon as I get some decent weather.

Attachments

• 20160104_185157.jpeg
    20160104_185157.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 546
  • 20160104_185146.jpeg
    20160104_185146.jpeg
    1,021.3 KB · Views: 757
Reactions: Dirty Bird
I got a P3S replacement I sent in for repair for remote signal issues.

My first distance test. I got 3800' distance when RTH triggered I was at 270' altitude.

The next test, next day, I had made a Windsurfer antenna trying to test my bad unit. Flying the same direction I got 7200' distance at 330' altitude before RTH triggered.

I haven't used it since, I believe I had enough head wind on the return that when it was over the RTH position Low battery warning came up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers