Windsurfers and flying behind home point

Reaction score
I got into a situation recently that put the bird [upon checking in the app] 500' behind me for around 4 minutes during a flight. It was a combination of being very focused on filming, not checking the map for actual position, and not unlocking map rotation. And I'll throw in one more thing, the lack of a spotter who could have told me that I was in fact flying behind myself. The amazing thing that also played into my disorientation is that never once, with windsurfers on supposedly throwing signal forward, did I lose signal or have a problem. I can only assume that the half inch or so of antennas extending over the top of the windsurfers is enough to radiate a 360 pattern of signal. Also keep in mind I have an iPad air2 on the remote which is another signal obstacle, I would think. I come away with two thoughts from this; light bridge is beyond amazing, and I think I'm going to fly without windsurfers for some flights to be in an even better position to throw 360 signal, just in case.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I have similar thoughts. I also have windsurfers with Ipad mini2. and I noticed that in short distances the antenna does not have to be pointed directly at the aircraft. I have flown beyond 1000 ft with the antenna pointing straight ahead with the AC 90 degrees to the side. Either awesome light bridge or signal reflects off of the house across the street from me. I do a lot of night flying over a residential area and have gotten past 2 miles with the wind surfers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers