Windsurf Antenna Copper or Aluminum Foil tape

Reaction score
Hello-First time posting on here. I have read about the DIY windsurf range extenders but I was wondering if using copper tape vs. aluminum foil would work as it is a better electrical conductor.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, trying to find it in the threads and a lot on this matter however none that could compare the both.

I've seen windsurfers that use both types of tape, but I've never seen a comparison done. It would be an interesting test. If you take it on, please post your results :)

I've seen windsurfers that use both types of tape, but I've never seen a comparison done. It would be an interesting test. If you take it on, please post your results :)

Challenge accepted. Going to Home Depot to buy the tape. Will try this weekend.

You could never make a meaningful comparison or evaluation of the difference(s) anecdotally 'in the field'.

Having said that you'll see no difference in this application.

Challenge accepted. Going to Home Depot to buy the tape. Will try this weekend.
So the weekend passed, did you get to test the differences between copper and aluminum?, I'm interested myself if any is better than the other

You should not see any difference. Reflection and conductivity are two different aspects. Windsurfer reflects the waves to central receiving element.

Actually, we had really bad weather here. I'm finishing up the foil one now and will try it tomorrow. Supposed to be only 4 MPH winds so not too bad. Keep you posted.

You should not see any difference. Reflection and conductivity are two different aspects. Windsurfer reflects the waves to central receiving element.
Yes - but I was thinking the tape might be superior because foil tends to wrinkle. The tape is smooth.

Just buy what you like.

There's no test that can be done without controlled conditions and sensitive test equipment. To do otherwise is not science and cannot produce repeatable or verifiable results.

Swapping one for the other in the field will never prove anything.

Reactions: yorlik
Hey guys, I'm considering buying one of these windsurfer's to get a little more distance. I'm noticing there are a couple different options. Looks like they have some with reflective tape for about $10-$12. Some even come in copper. They also make some with real aluminum that has no bump deformation and totally smooth for around the $30 range. Even comes with a case. I'm leaning towards the real aluminum one but I'm curious if the extra $20 and case is worth it or will make that much difference? Has anyone tried the real aluminum ones? Maybe even the copper ones? Just doing my homework before I buy!

Here are the real aluminum ones.
Aluminum Parabolic Antenna Range Booster fr DJI Phantom 3 Inspire 1 Windsurfer

There's no benefit of using Copper so go with the one with the smoothest surface.

Reactions: yorlik and Darrell3
I would be interested in the outcome also. They do work but only recently has the copper started to appear.

I've used these for some time with very good results. i made 2 sets from aluminum before (pie tins), but never did any tests. these are pretty good IMO. I've gotten crazy distances with these windsurfers.

iB1kBdH.png

ERVvS7k.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj