Wind Surfers Best Bang for your Buck in my opinion

Reaction score
I've been playing around with wind surfer for about 5 months on the Phantom 2 vision plus and the Phantom 3 advanced. Here I'll be talking about the P2v+.
Most of the Wind surfers I have made myself . with empty pill bottles or vitamin bottles. That ever seems to work best for the size of the antenna. I'm not an electric engineer. I've talked to specials in the field and most of the wind surfers on the market are not correct, well let me say they will work better but it can do better. The idea is to have your antenna in the center of the wind surfer. As in the first picture.
Build your wind surfer.jpg

This just a stock drone and a mod antenna to the range extender I've been able to go out 6000ft multiple times and even 7000ft.

Willis West

Willis West 7k
with this setup, The winder surfer on the controller was given to me. even with it I'm pushing over a 1.3 miles.
IMG_20160505_134304823.jpg

Very interesting, the p3 guys have swore by these, interesting to see how they do on p2

I've been playing around with wind surfer for about 5 months on the Phantom 2 vision plus and the Phantom 3 advanced. Here I'll be talking about the P2v+.
Most of the Wind surfers I have made myself . with empty pill bottles or vitamin bottles. That ever seems to work best for the size of the antenna. I'm not an electric engineer. I've talked to specials in the field and most of the wind surfers on the market are not correct, well let me say they will work better but it can do better. The idea is to have your antenna in the center of the wind surfer. As in the first picture.
View attachment 53527
This just a stock drone and a mod antenna to the range extender I've been able to go out 6000ft multiple times and even 7000ft.

Willis West

Willis West 7k
with this setup, The winder surfer on the controller was given to me. even with it I'm pushing over a 1.3 miles.
View attachment 53528

Not sure who you referenced but the proper shape is a cylindrical parabola as that has a single focal plane.
Using a half-cylinder [semi circle] will work but does not properly focus the energy to a single plane.
This technique is well defined if you research it.

Reactions: dirtybum
Not sure who you referenced but the proper shape is a cylindrical parabola as that has a single focal plane.
Using a half-cylinder [semi circle] will work but does not properly focus the energy to a single plane.
This technique is well defined if you research it.
Hello Not sure if I'm following you correct and my picture may not be 100% correct.
and I'm always looking to correct myself If I mis under should some one.
So If I'm getting you right your saying it more correct to have it like the first picture here or the second picture.
parabola2.jpg

Image194.gif

Thank you

300px-Parabola_with_focus_and_arbitrary_line.svg.png

This cut/paste from Wiki.
Parabolic reflector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice how all 'beams' focus in one spot.
This occurs up and down the length of the surfer coinciding with the length [plane] of the antenna.

This focusing does not occur with a semi-circle.

Edit/Add: You're right, these are the best mod for the price and effort.

Db I was able to push my P3a out to 18000 with just a wind surfer unboosted with full signal.
I think that's what makes them so popular you don't have to do Jack to your equipment and still get those impressive numbers and better yet perfect signal which is so important when you're going to be dabbling in those kind of distances

I think that's what makes them so popular you don't have to do Jack to your equipment and still get those impressive numbers and better yet perfect signal which is so important when you're going to be dabbling in those kind of distances
So true. I know My *ss puckers up at that distance

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1