Wind Speed Measuring

I'd rather rely on an app, like Hover. From what I read here about crashes, it's the sudden "gust" that proves to be the real problem. I think the "bigger picture" will help you more, in the long run. Just my opinion...

Yea. You need to develop a sense of what is too much wind at your ground location. It will only increase as you rise. If a device helps you quantify that good but in the long run it is of little use.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Locke
A kestrel is a nice piece of kit to help one get to the point of reading the wind without instrumentation. Strive to get to reading the wind accurately from a flag, wind sock, or whitecaps on water.

I judge it by feel. Im really looking for wind gusts. The p4 has the power to overcome most constant wind I fly in. I am a bit more sensitive to this with my p4 as moves all over the place while hovering. In GPS mode it will move 10 feet without correction. I never had to worry about this in the past with my P3P, that stayed dead on spot (or at least tried to lol)

An anemometer is a really handy thing to have. I have one but rarely use it now as I have become familiar with estimating wind speed. Before the anemometer I had no idea if the wind was too strong or not. It takes the guess work out of flying thus making it safer.
Before the wind meter I would not fly in a mild breeze because I had no idea if it was safe to do so, now I am far more confident in windy conditions.

P3 or P4 can tolerate a lot of wind so I dont see any real need for an anemometer. I live in Ohio and I can only remember one day in the past 2 years where I knew for sure I couldnt fly and that's because there was sustained winds of 60-70 MPH and trees were being knocked down all over town.

If it is a gusty day, just remember to use common sense --- try to take off when there is a lull in the winds so you dont crash into a nearby object. When you're aloft, give it a wide berth when flying near trees, buildings, and cell towers.

Once a Phantom is in the air it's really hard for wind to crash it. This is because wind is mostly moving parallel to the ground but the Phantom is still generating enough lift to maintain altitude.

Reactions: Techcop50
I go straight up to 200 ft (I live in a forest), switch of GPS mode and look at the drift. read the wind speed.
I like to go up wind more or less to make sure I make it home.

I use UAV Forecast. Tells me what the winds are at the altitude I intend to fly.

Reactions: Bckmstr
Depends on how close you are to the monitoring site and data latency.
Good for an estimation but not absolute.
Those sites/apps. just data-mine and can be in error.

Depends on how close you are to the monitoring site and data latency.
Good for an estimation but not absolute.
Those sites/apps. just data-mine and can be in error.
True enough. As you say, an estimation. You have to decide for yourself what wind speed is safe for your AC to fly in.

I judge it by feel. Im really looking for wind gusts. The p4 has the power to overcome most constant wind I fly in. I am a bit more sensitive to this with my p4 as moves all over the place while hovering. In GPS mode it will move 10 feet without correction. I never had to worry about this in the past with my P3P, that stayed dead on spot (or at least tried to lol)
Either you're hovering over surfaces that can not facilitate visual positioning, or something's wrong with your P4. Mine behaves just as you describe your P3, and in some winds too scary for me to fly (so I landed from that 10' hover and called it off).

I go straight up to 200 ft (I live in a forest), switch of GPS mode and look at the drift. read the wind speed.
I like to go up wind more or less to make sure I make it home.
This is what I do, I go about 100 feet up switch to atti and watch my bird drift. Go will draw me a line for wind direction that I can check later and I have the ground speed of travel. In my flight I can check this again at any time. Why look at other reports when you can get it live as you fly. In summer if the tree leaves are flipping upside down in the wind it's getting a bit much.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl