Wind Speed and P4 Pro+ Stability

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but been flying the regular P4 until today's new delivery ;-)

Wind outside is 14mph gusting to 20mph and the Phantom is drifting quite a bit.

Are there any concerns about drifting and general stability issues in this sort of wind situation with the P4P?

I've flown in bad gusts but now I try and remain under 10 MPH. Autopilot says to stay under it too as the flight to the next waypoint will be in a curve as it is blown off a direct line to the next waypoint. Could be the same for a RTH if initiated and it flies back curved and maybe into something taller en-route. Landing could be tougher too and maybe time for guards if it rocks over.

I did some recent photos in the air while the flags were flapping madly on their poles at a soccer field. Flags might be showing 20+ MPH and the P4 was getting slapped around pretty bad so I brought it back down pretty quick rather than continue.

The red square in the photo was drawn in by me trying so see how well the poles around the field remained vertical along with the horizon staying level during the slap-fest it endured. Some trees were being blown to the right as well as the distant fog. Seemed to handle it well

Attachments

• DJI_0165.jpg
    DJI_0165.jpg
    711 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
I was at the beach yesterday flying my P4P. When I called the local control tower they warned me winds were 28mph, probably gusting to 35mph. When I took off it was incredibly stable. I didn't see it swaying at all and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, and I was even flying it out over water. The only thing I noticed was that it didn't travel as fast against the wind...obviously. But I was shocked and incredibly pleased with how stable it was in those winds.

Reactions: tak5501
Is there any evidence that the P4P is worse that the P4 for coping with wind?

Since the P4P has stronger motors I'd expect it can handle gusts better.

That said on the first "real" flight of my new P4P it almost toppled over at motor start when there was a strong gust at that very moment.

For me the decision remains between the p4p or the I2, and handling windy conditions is a priority. I know the I2 is the better choice for that. But there really are conflicting reports about how well the p4p actually handles wind. Some say it gets tossed around and some say it's solid. I've yet to be convinced either way about the p4p. I'd like to be, considering it's a whole heck of a lot cheaper.

For me the decision remains between the p4p or the I2, and handling windy conditions is a priority. I know the I2 is the better choice for that. But there really are conflicting reports about how well the p4p actually handles wind. Some say it gets tossed around and some say it's solid. I've yet to be convinced either way about the p4p. I'd like to be, considering it's a whole heck of a lot cheaper.

I'd say it's very vulnerable on the ground with the props spinning - esp the burst of power during motor start. A good gust of wind and it can easily topple over. The rubber pad on the landing gear has a pretty good "grip" (depending on the surface) so with a wind gust there is no lateral "give". Once in the air it's very good. I've flown it in gusty conditions and it's very stable and responsive. Important to let the GPS acquire first.

It might be, but the p4p definitely handles gusts better, according to reports

Reports. Right. To be sure the P4P can handle more headwind since it has higher power and higher max S-mode speed. More power should give it more stability in gusts as well. Granted. But on the ground it's vulnerable because the "drag" on the legs changes the dynamics considerably. That's a dangerous spot.

Reports. Right. To be sure the P4P can handle more headwind since it has higher power and higher max S-mode speed. More power should give it more stability in gusts as well. Granted. But on the ground it's vulnerable because the "drag" on the legs changes the dynamics considerably. That's a dangerous spot.
Yes, I think that goes for all phantoms.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Personally I would never choose a mavic on the merits of it holding in strong winds consistently. I've also never hand caught my P3 in strong winds and never toppled on the ground during landings or takeoff. I believe you can land a phantom reliably in those conditions if you are a cautious pilot. Landing aside, it's airborne that concerns me about the p4p. Everything about the bird is awesome and an upgrade for me, except, perhaps, how it actually stays put in winds aloft at 350-400 feet. I'm not flying for recreation. If I were I simply wouldn't choose to fly those conditions. I have to be confident the wind won't pull the bird away from me. I'm sure the p4p is better than the P3 simply from bigger motors so it can handle more. But it just isn't an I2 in that category,including the price, which is why I want to believe it'll be enough up there, but it is after all, still a phantom. Really tough choice, man.

Personally I would never choose a mavic on the merits of it holding in strong winds consistently. I've also never hand caught my P3 in strong winds and never toppled on the ground during landings or takeoff. I believe you can land a phantom reliably in those conditions if you are a cautious pilot. Landing aside, it's airborne that concerns me about the p4p. Everything about the bird is awesome and an upgrade for me, except, perhaps, how it actually stays put in winds aloft at 350-400 feet. I'm not flying for recreation. If I were I simply wouldn't choose to fly those conditions. I have to be confident the wind won't pull the bird away from me. I'm sure the p4p is better than the P3 simply from bigger motors so it can handle more. But it just isn't an I2 in that category,including the price, which is why I want to believe it'll be enough up there, but it is after all, still a phantom. Really tough choice, man.

As I said, the P4P almost toppled by merely starting the motors. Not taking off. Not landing. Sticks down and inward, wot. The 'burst' phase of starting coincided with a good little gust and it toppled (luckily stood up again). I didn't even see this - my buddy did (my head was back down in the display...). This to me is a case of the 'burst' of power lightening the skids enough for the gust to push the P4P and the drag on the skids was enough to tip it.

This could never happen with the Mavic Pro - at least not on merely starting the motors.

With strong winds, the only thing you risk is the strong drainage of the battery. Takeoff and landing nn have problems, though only a stupid one can take off the drone at 22mph. I noticed a drone instability problem at full speed, reverse and ascending fast with the opposite wind.

A lot of fly away losses are when people take off in high winds, and lose gps lock and go into atti mode. Specially if you are flying at range and cant physically see your drone in the sky. The drone will drift at whatever the windspeed is. If you are not used to flying by radar in atti, it could cost you your drone.

A lot of fly away losses are when people take off in high winds, and lose gps lock and go into atti mode. Specially if you are flying at range and cant physically see your drone in the sky. The drone will drift at whatever the windspeed is. If you are not used to flying by radar in atti, it could cost you your drone.

Please clarify to me how you fly "by radar" in Atti when GPS is not being received.

I fly in wind all the time down at the Delaware River...Bird is amazingly stable..Sometimes hard to video because you will get some jumpy parts but drone flies well. Of course not as good as no wind.

Reactions: Lescenatt
How is possible lose the Gps signal? On my flyght log I had never lost the Gps signal...never!
Do you race on the tunnel?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20