Wind recovery?

Reaction score
If a Phantom or Mavic was flipped over mid air due to a wind gust, will it try to recover or is it a confused goner?

Currently I don't see a flip function on phantom or Mavic and thus they won't recover if flipped. They will also lose GPS so heading for disaster.

$20 drones available in the market exhibit flipping successfully and big brothers are just watching. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: kmaluo
Short of flying in gale force winds, I cannot see how my P4 would flip over. I often fly in a stiff breeze in my part of the world and apart from moving around occasionally, sits well in the air. The only concern is making sure you are running back home with the wind to get it back before the dreaded battery warning. I hand catch mine and notice that if you don't hold it parallel with the ground, she will fight to level herself whilst you are shutting it down.

Ok thanks. I briefly owned a motor reversing quad that could fly upside down, flip, etc. Just was wondering what the Mavic would do if it suddenly found itself upside down mid air.

Ok thanks. I briefly owned a motor reversing quad that could fly upside down, flip, etc. Just was wondering what the Mavic would do if it suddenly found itself upside down mid air.

I own a couple of those stunt quads for when I need amusement and having a beer. No idea about the Mavic, but i suspect, as commented earlier, if it became inverted you wouldn't have time to open a beer as it exploded on impact and you burst into tears. Propellers on top, camera underneath.

If a Phantom or Mavic was flipped over mid air due to a wind gust, will it try to recover or is it a confused goner?
A Phantom or Mavic won't flip because of wind. The flight controller and sensors will keep it stable.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Kilrah and Bibs
It would think its in Australia, then DJI would ask you for more money :)

Seriously ... if you managed to flip the mavic, i dont think it would end well. fly in winds less than 20mph though for sure !

I clipped some limbs with p3 standard. Motors stopped and the bird started to tumble to the ground. For an instant I was sure it was a goner. Then when it found itself in relatively upright position the motors turned on and the p3 stabilized. We should expect same capability from the Mavic, right?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Flipping a Phantom will cause it to flip back over due to the accelerometers determining inconsistence in relative position, I'm sure Mavic will do the same
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

This is how an old Phantom 2 handles this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
You won't flip a Mavic in the wind.

Reactions: auen1 and tevek
I think they would recover fine, I saw a video on youtube where a guy accidentally hit a water tower and it tipped upside down a slid down the steel side panel once falling off completely it turned the right way back up and continued flying

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
That's awesome! So basically the only concern about high speed wind is not being able to make it back to the home point. If correct, I assume that if you fly upwind in high speed winds the first half of your flight, you should be fine the second half.

Reactions: edoginasia
That's awesome! So basically the only concern about high speed wind is not being able to make it back to the home point. If correct, I assume that if you fly upwind in high speed winds the first half of your flight, you should be fine the second half.

Correct, I sucked it up and tried out the moves in Meta4's clip and i couldn't get my P4 to crash. Stupid heh? At least I can take that confidence into the next high breeze adventure. Love this site.

As long as you don't go off into the distance with a stong wind behind you, sometimes the worst aspect to strong winds is takeoff and landing.
You don't want a gust to catch the props when your Phantom is close to the ground.
Once it's up in the air, the Phantom can handle the wind better than you would expect.

I can attest I had mine up and the wind really picked up. Gusts were above 25mph. I don't like flying in wind like that. Phantom was fine though.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Correct, I sucked it up and tried out the moves in Meta4's clip and i couldn't get my P4 to crash. Stupid heh? At least I can take that confidence into the next high breeze adventure. Love this site.
How high did you have to stand for the flip recovery?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.