Wind limit for P2V+

Reaction score
Hi all, any advise on using Phantom for filming Kitesurfing event, usually the wind is about 20-25knt. What are the wind limit, please note I am a beginner.

Thanx

I've heard it can fly in some pretty rough winds (should be a few videos) but it all depends on conditions...
Your battery won't last nearly as long if the Phantom keeps trying to correct its position, those motors are going to be working hard.
If there's any trees or objects to hit, be aware that it may drift or be blown around.
Generally the higher you go the stronger the wind is, keep this in mind.
I have only flown in 18 knt wind once and had to fight with the controls to manoeuvre so it's a good chance to fly with atti mode and get smooth video.

Easiest way to test is to take it slow, see how it handles just off the ground then gradually bring her up checking how she's handling.
If there's no water, buildings or trees around then it's easy... I'm sure the kite guys won't want you tangling their lines though.

Hi Omani,
I encourage you to practice a lot before filming at an event. The phantom can handle 25 kph wind, but you must be prepared to fly it! Gusts and changing winds can pose problems especially if you're trying to get great shots. Take the time to know your bird and your capabilities with it. ;)

Just be careful, 25 knots is probably too much.
I'd say 5mph less than your top speed but be careful because gusts can be very unpredictable and wind speeds can increase signifintly the higher you go up. My rule is 15mph for normal flying and if it goes above 20mph stay low.
Here's a video I shot last week

kite surfers Dublin: http://youtu.be/PkhdktDm99g

My advice is to stay well away from ATTI mode in these winds if you are a novice. You won't have a flyaway, more like a blowaway. Stay in gps. If you are a kite surfer you'll know what height to stay at because their lines will be 25m long, you'll have to add when they go airborne so maybe another 7-10m, difference in wave height maybe another 2-3m and then a safety buffer of another 10m so maybe 55m minimum height? Make sure you have a long talk about safe distances with the kite surfers about safe flying distances but to be honest it might be something to leave alone until you are more experienced.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Just be careful, 25 knots is probably too much.
I'd say 5mph less than your top speed but be careful because gusts can be very unpredictable and wind speeds can increase signifintly the higher you go up. My rule is 15mph for normal flying and if it goes above 20mph stay low.
Here's a video I shot last week

kite surfers Dublin: http://youtu.be/PkhdktDm99g
Good advice and nice vid, Mal. :D
Staying low over water in any wind puckers my butt! :oops:

Haha thanks, yeah it took a while before the sphincter muscle to stop hurting when I started flying over water but living here I have to fly over the sea. Its second nature now, the way I look at it is, if she falls onto concrete from 100m its gonna be a complete wreck, no difference with a crash over the sea. If you fly her be prepared to lose her, every flight.

That's a bitter pill to swallow, but you're correct with a flying machine, there is always that chance! I do like ATTI just to check winds aloft. I did get way downwind once and thought I might lose the bird. Lucky so far! :D

Ive had mine blow 1km away in high winds, luckily I ran after it when rth kicked in and couldnt fight back against the wind. Finally got close enough to regain control, it still couldnt come back but I was able to drop the height and finally got her back as she was losing altitude at 8% battery, just missed a roof top and then a river before she finally just got to my feet and cracked 2 props. Have a 14 min video of the whole thing. Might be boring to watch the whole thing but might be some use if it interests you. I'll try find it and post it for anyone who wants to watch,

Problem is a sustained wind speed doesnt happen for long. I know very well about winds after operating tower cranes for years and off shore oil rig cranes for a few years too. On the ground wind speeds could be 20mph but 150m up in the air I could get wind speeds of between 35mph and 50mph within seconds of each other with gusts. Operating a rig luffing crane in the north sea between Scotland and Norway wind speeds could go from 15mph to 150mph in seconds in the extreme.

Flying in high winds is the easy, its landing that you have to worry about. You'll also see your props and gear a lot more in any video you shoot.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub