Wind: How much is too much for you?

Reaction score
I have my UAV Forecast app thresholds set to 12mph @ 400ft. Any more than that, and I get way too nervous.

What wind speed does the community find is too high to fly?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was going to fly my P3P yesterday, but the winds were a constant 18-20mph, seemed way too windy to fly so I didn't. I guess if you REALLY have to fly, some might think that was ok to fly in. Not me... :)

Curious to see what others think...

Reactions: mindtrick
DJI recommends not flying in winds exceeding 22 MPH. The limit really depends on your skill level though. It's going to be a different number for every pilot.

DJI recommends not flying in winds exceeding 22 MPH. The limit really depends on your skill level though. It's going to be a different number for every pilot.

I just want to get a feel for the various pilots feel is too much. I'm sure my threshold is a bit on the low side, but I'm a bit of a worry-wart.

I have my UAV Forecast app thresholds set to 12mph @ 400ft. Any more than that, and I get way too nervous.

What wind speed does the community find is too high to fly?

My forcast app is set to 25mph @ 300'. The phantom will do 35. My average height is around 300'. Obviously at higher wind speeds I watch my direction of flight way more carefully and always work upwind in a fresh battery and downwind coming home on empty. If I can't do that due to wind direction, I fly another day.

I just want to get a feel for the various pilots feel is too much. I'm sure my threshold is a bit on the low side, but I'm a bit of a worry-wart.
In general, as a new pilot, being a worry wart is a good thing. You don't learn to fly by strapping into a stunt plane. Live to fly another day by being cautious at first.

Setting low thresholds at first is a wise thing. Then start pushing those as you gain experience. Eventually you will learn to read the wind and know when not to fly. But you can, by then, back it up with experience in knowing what does and does not work.

If you fly into winds exceeding 15 mph, get the thing close early, and don't lose your signal. I almost lost my p3s, because it did the return to home against the wind. When my video appeared, battery was at 30%, and the firmware reduces the motor speed to conserve power. The thing was drifting to the side, and I had to make an emergency landing inches away from water probably 1/4 mile away from the home point.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you fly into winds exceeding 15 mph, get the thing close early, and don't lose your signal. I almost lost my p3s, because it did the return to home against the wind. When my video appeared, battery was at 30%, and the firmware reduces the motor speed to conserve power. The thing was drifting to the side, and I had to make an emergency landing inches away from water probably 1/4 mile away from the home point.

Yikes!![emoji85]

Reactions: mindtrick
Yikes!![emoji85]

Worst part of the story is that my video stopped recording, and I didn't have a record of one of the most epic emergency landings ever.

UAV set for 18MPH at 250ft. But if it seems real gusty I will not fly at all.

If UAV shows 10mph (or what ever you feel comfortable with). Just put your P3 up to a safe altitude and flip it to ATTI mode and see how much it drifts.

Thats why I plan my missions (when possible) so that I fly against the wind on a fresh battery and am returning home downwind on empty.

I have flown in 23-24 mph winds with no problem, but I'm not trying to thread a needle with the aircraft either. Wide open space and no problem. Want to catch the craft when coming home vs. landing it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl