Will you people stop crashing your P3s into Trees!

By the way, what is your advice on flying IOC? I found early on it helped me manage the direction my bird was flying.

As wonderful as a feature like IOC or Intelligent Orientarion Control is for a first time flyer it can be dangerous if it fails to function correctly mid flight and you suddenly find yourself having to make a normal correction.

IOC for those that don't know allows your Phantom to move left right front and back regardless the front facing direction of the Phantom. The front position being initially determined when you power on. As nice and easy a flying feature as this is again I seriously would not count on it should you suddenly loose GPS lock while flying. There's good reasons it's not enabled by default.

Very nice Ben. I haven't calibrated my compass in over 20 flights and it flies great.

DO check the sensors before take off:
Mods 0, 1, 1400-1600

I just flew into a tree with my P3A and bounced into a power line then hit a house. It rolled down the house roof, hit someone on the head then dropped onto thier car. It slid off the bonnet and hit a cat. The cat ran in the road and a petrol tanker swerved to avoid the cat. The tanker hit an old peoples home and burst into flames.

The P3 is fine thank you .....

Last edited:
My brother in law "encouraged" his sister into letting me buy a P3 and I'm so over the moon for doing it. BUT he kept sending me emails on first flight, mastering techniques, etc. and he's a very practical guy, so I understood how important it is.

I found a 60 acre park near me that allows flying of aircraft and all I did for the first two days is work on technique, particularly FPV flying and then switching to line of sight flying and back. In my opinion this is the hardest part of flying because in many cases, especially upon return, you have to begin instantly to think opposite from the FPV.

Practice practice practice....

Oh, and by the way, let's mentor noobs, unless we've forgotten how to communicate. :)

I lost my 1st P3P flying 1 foot under a tree. The **** branch got sucked down into the propeller. It would have been fine but the prop guards caused the small branch to become lodged like a broom handle in a bicycle spoke. Twisted the entire arm upside down, broke the case open then flipped the P3 upside down where it crashed right on the top DJI logo. Every other tree branch I've hit without prop guards just gave it a great fall.

I haven't flown anywhere near obstacles yet. I'm fact I often fly at 300' att and still get scared I'm too low sometimes when the camera points down

Very nice Ben. I haven't calibrated my compass in over 20 flights and it flies great.

DO check the sensors before take off:
Mods 0, 1, 1400-1600

30sec, please tell me where you found the recommended mod values?
Can't find in the manual. o_O

RTFM aside, most newbies are screwed up most by orientation. They don't realize that if they are looking at the front of their copter, their controls are backwards.

Hi All.
Newbie here.
P3 Advanced - credit card purchase following initial cheapo purchase.
Cheapo was Glimpse Blade with FPV. Flew it around my bedroom for a week then ventured outdoors. Even with the ability to not crash it in a confined space, mental adjustment was still required for outdoors.
A week later I had the P3.
10 flights and all good, all easy. GPS does all the work.
Yesterday at an old blast furnace I wanted to film, i came to within a hair's breadth of crashing.
Compass required a 2nd calibration whih I thought was peculiar but it all went ok.
Armed the engines and hovered at 1mtr.
Suddenly it went nuts! Spun a few times, went left and right and nearly hit a stationary object.
I managed to wrestle back control and landed it safely.
Powercycled everything and the rest of the flying was normal.
Lessons to be learned......
Expect the unexpected!
Ensure you can fly fluently and with a high level of skill!
Don't expose innocent people or property to danger as these wonderful machines can and do fail!
I love my P3 Advanced and if it were to be lost i would purchase a replacement immediately.
Fly safe.

I don't mean to start another debate over the K index and solar flares, but yesterday was at 5, maybe even hit 6 for a brief period of time. These CME's are not to be trifled with in my opinion. Even way back in my ham radio days they would trash the amateur bands and render them useless. I know some here say they do not effect our Phantoms, but all I'm going to say is I don't fly when it's 5 or above.

Reactions: Cyclone
I don't mean to start another debate over the K index and solar flares, but yesterday was at 5, maybe even hit 6 for a brief period of time. These CME's are not to be trifled with in my opinion. Even way back in my ham radio days they would trash the amateur bands and render them useless. I know some here say they do not effect our Phantoms, but all I'm going to say is I don't fly when it's 5 or above.
Snerd where can I find this info before take off?

I use K-Index Monitor app for Android.

I'm a newbie but all of your points seem to be common sense(mostly). I had my P3A for 3 days before I flew it for the first time and when I did, I didn't go farther than 100ft getting used to the controls and how the aircraft handles. I still stay away from trees because even though I may be getting better, the wind can easily pick up or gust and blow you of course. That's probably another tip for flying, only fly in ideal conditions(low wind). I still will not fly if the wind is up, I'll wait until late afternoon when it calms down. Great post.

I'm a newbie but all of your points seem to be common sense(mostly). I had my P3A for 3 days before I flew it for the first time and when I did, I didn't go farther than 100ft getting used to the controls and how the aircraft handles. I still stay away from trees because even though I may be getting better, the wind can easily pick up or gust and blow you of course. That's probably another tip for flying, only fly in ideal conditions(low wind). I still will not fly if the wind is up, I'll wait until late afternoon when it calms down. Great post.

Yeah it's good to air on the side of caution and take it slow as you learn the capabilities of the Phantom, and your self as a pilot. And slowly push a little further on as your confidence and skill improve. On a side note the Phantom can handle pretty strong winds in excess of 20mph but definitely as a new flyer you should be taking it slow trying to fly in sub 15mph or calmer while you get the feel for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers