Will the iPad Mini 3 - with no cell or gps work with "Follow Me" feature in new firmware?

All data plan available on the iPad are contract free and pay as you go. So I think AT&T is like $10 gets you 3GB or something like that. But you do not have to active cellular internet ever. You are getting it for the GPS chip. Internet is not needed to fly your drone. So don't pay for service if you are't going to use it.

I plan on using follow me, orbit ect.. So I should probably get one?

Or I'll just wait for the 6s plus... I do like the bigger screen tho from the mini

the gps on ipads/iphones works based on wifi not on satellites, so technically as long as you have wifi turned on and are on a area with enough wifi hotspots the gps will be able to locate you.

im using an iphone 5s with no data plan and works, so it should be the same on an ipad ;-)

the gps on ipads/iphones works based on wifi not on satellites, so technically as long as you have wifi turned on and are on a area with enough wifi hotspots the gps will be able to locate you.

im using an iphone 5s with no data plan and works, so it should be the same on an ipad ;-)

That's sort of not true. The iPads without any GPS will try to triangulate your position based on the location of nearby wifi signals and is not very accurate. It's still amazing given the technology. The GPS in your iPhone 5s is a very real GPS chipset that gives your location directly to the transmitter.

WIFI iPads just don't even have a GPS chip at all.

source: Me (iOS Engineer and Designer)

Reactions: chapsrlz
All data plan available on the iPad are contract free and pay as you go. So I think AT&T is like $10 gets you 3GB or something like that. But you do not have to active cellular internet ever. You are getting it for the GPS chip. Internet is not needed to fly your drone. So don't pay for service if you are't going to use it.
I remember Tmobile used to give 200megs a month for free for life on the iPad. I don't know if they still doing that. You don't even have to sign up. Just get a SIM and activate on your iPad.

Went online and they are still around.

200 MB Offer: Eligible device req’d. No roaming. 200 MB free data avail every 30 days for as long as you own and use registered device with T-Mobile. Usage applied first to passes, next to free data, then to Mobile Internet allotment. If you have a monthly plan (required for device financing) 200 MB is added to allotment.

Reactions: mirrorimage
Yes t-mobile will give you 200MB free on your iPad every month even if you don't sign up which is really awesome. $10 for 500mb a month from tmobile. Or $15 for 250mb a month from AT&T.

Choose your poison.

I know you are all excited about getting a new iPad, but wouldn't it be easier or better to just use your iPhone or Android phone for the functions requiring GPS? It certainly would be easier to carry, especially attached to your controller, which you will still need. That way you won't need to startup yet another cellular account. For normal flying, I don't think GPS'ing the Go app will be of much value.

Reactions: mirrorimage
I don't know if anyone mentioned it but the GPS on the iPad works with or with out cellular service just as long as you have the iPad that has GPS. You don't have to sign up for cell service to use the GPS

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl